Forum Etiquette and Moderation
Your comments are welcome, and you are asked to keep them polite. You are responsible for the content of your
comments. Moderators monitors the site to ensure compliance with all comment policies.
Note that no one will edit your content, but it might be removed if it does not meet our rules.
Every comment is valued for its content. This forum allows everyone to have a say and brings out many different ideas and viewpoints.
In order to play a positive part in the discussion and to give your views maximum impact, follow the etiquette rules below.
- It's a good idea to read through the information on the site and the other participant's comments before posting a comment.
- Always respect the views of other participants even if you don't agree with them.
- Use Salutations. It is a kind of politeness.
- Be constructive. It's okay to disagree with other forum participants, just keep the comments positive.
- Always keep things civil. It is important to keep the comments focused on the issues rather than letting it deteriorate into personal insults.
- A certain friendly sarcasm is allowed - as long as it is polite.
- Once you've left your comment keep an eye on the forum to see what other people have to say. If you feel that someone has insulted you, report their comment to the moderator. Don't perpetuate the dispute. The moderator will take a look at the comment in question and decide whether it should be removed.
- Stay on topic. The RailDude forum has been created for a specific purpose.
- Remember to turn off the "CAPS LOCK". Writing in ALL CAPS is the equivalent of SHOUTING and may be offensive.
- Choose one topic under which you would like to post each of your unique comments, and do not cut and paste the same comment into lots of different rule topics. These will be considered duplicates and may be removed.
- Don't be a “troll.” Trolls intentionally incite annoyance or offense. They do not participate constructively and do not add any value to the forum.
- Don't bully, harass or threaten other participants. If another participant proffers an opinion that you don't agree with, you have no right to demand that they support their position with a detailed reply. They do not have to respond to your questions. It is up to each individual to participate in the forum as much or as little as they wish.
- Please respect the moderators. Their job is to keep the forum safe and constructive so that everybody gets an opportunity to have his or her say.
- Try to avoid using acronyms or text talk. By sticking to plain English more people will understand the points you are trying to make.
- Always keep smiling. There are more important things in the world than this forum 😀
- Never post personal information about another forum participant. This includes identifying any individual by their real name if they have not already done so or providing personal contact information.
- Don't post anything that threatens or harms the reputation of any person or organization. If you wish to accuse someone of committing a crime or being an idiot this is not the place to do it.
- Don't post anything that could be considered intolerant of a person's race, culture, appearance, gender, sexual preference, religion or age.
- Don't be obscene and don't use foul language. Disguising swear words by deliberately misspelling them doesn't make them any less offensive.
- Don't personally insult or harass other participants. Focus on your substantive comments and not on other commenters, personally. Users are entitled to choose not to enter into debate with you.
- Don't post or link to inappropriate, offensive or illegal material. Inappropriate content is anything that may offend or is not relevant to the forum.
- Don't post any advertisements or solicitations, however much you believe in the service or product.
- Don’t post comments that discredits specific travel websites. Everyone has his right to exist.
- Don't complain about the moderation on the site; you may send a note to us if you are unhappy with a moderator’s decision.
Violation of the moderation rules may result in:
- Removal of comment — any comment that, in the view of the moderators, violates the rules will be removed.
- Temporary suspension — a participant who repeatedly violates the moderation rules may be suspended from access to the site for up to one week as determined by the moderators. The suspension period will reflect both the severity and consistency of the violation.
- Permanent blocking — a participant who continues to violate the moderation rules following reinstatement after a period of suspension may have their access to the site permanently blocked.
- Automatic blocking — a participant who posts or links to inappropriate, offensive or illegal material will be immediately blocked from the site.