Userpic

Prasanac
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Hi!

First of all, I really like this site, it has been very helpfull in planig our 2 week train trip accross the Europe :D
But, I still have a few questions...
First is about changing train to bus in Villach (Zagreb-Venezia) - our train should arrive at 10:50 and bus leaves at 10:56 - is this enough time to make the transfer and what to do if the train is late (we already made reservation for the bus, but are not sure wheather to take this route or not)?
And second thing is about Little yellow train - we would like to ride this train, but what concerns me is the fact that the train can be full and since we have interrail, how do we make sure to have this ride (since there are no reservations)? We plan to come to Latour at 12:32 and the train should leave at 14:56 (it seems that there's no more train at 12:36) on 24.8. So, I presume there will be tickets to be bought, but we don't need them, right? I just don't wan't to miss this train, since there are no later trains and we need to catch night train in Perpignan (leaves at 21:15).

thank you in advance :D

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi.
That's nice to hear that railcc helps you planing your trip. And please be fair - and support all our work with the purchase of your official Interrail pass in the railcc shop: [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] . Thank you! :)

1) I recommend the route via Slovenia: Zagreb - Ljubljana - border corssing Italy - Venice
This route is FREE of extra reservation fees: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail/zagreb-to-venice[/u]

2) You can't reserve seats on the Little Yellow Train - and no worries, you will definitely get a seat!!! :)
Every time I used the Little Yellow Train (even in peak season), there was still empty seats left.
And as you have enough time, you can enter the train as first passengers. Good to select nice seats - recommended is the open car! :)

Peter :)

Userpic

Prasanac
Traveller
1 comments

replied 10 years ago

Sorry for the late answer, but I just was in quite a mess lately...Also sorry for not being able to buy tickets here, since I've already bought everything (including reservations for this bus for Venice) prior posting on forum ...
But thank you for your answers :)
I would like to contibute to this site with what I've found out - it's really not advisable to catch this connection (Zagreb - Venice via Villach)- I've contacted Austrian railways and they say that if the train is on schedule, it's not a problem to switch between train and bus, but if it's late...here is their answer:
If the train is punctual from Zagreb to Villach there is enough time to change.
In case the train from Zagreb is late you have to inform the conductor in the train that you need the bus from Villach to Venezia, maybe it’s possible for the Bus to wait if it isn’t possible to wait for the bus you may go to the ticket office in Villach and make a reservation for the next bus if there are free seats.
Since we don't have that much time to go on the route you suggested (we have to come to Torino and would like to see the city that evening), only solution that we had left is to go by bus to Trieste. So, the bus drives from main bus station (which is 3 tram stops from main station) and it leaves at 05:30 from Tuesday-Saturday. It's in Trieste at 09:45 and one way ticket costs around 21 €. Tickets can be bought at main bus station or online at [u]http://www.croatiabus.hr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=106&lang=hr[/u] but the page is only in Croatian...
From Trieste there is local train (no additional costs) that leaves at 11:44 and arrives at Venezia Santa Lucia at 13:39 (Venezia Mestre 13:39 if you want to continue to travel by train).
So, it may be good to add this connection to Zagreb-Venice (since the first one, via Villach is very tricky, if train is late, nobody guarantees you that there are gonna be available seats on next bus or the one after, and you could get stranded in Villach. Second option takes all day, and not everybody has that much time). I know it's not really nice to have to go by bus if you have interrail, but since direct line from Zagreb to Venice has been cancelled, options are very limited.
Hope I helped :D

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thanks for the update, we will think about including the bus connection for the new timetable.