Userpic

Callum_E
Traveller
7 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Hi everyone i am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself. My Names Callum, i am 17 soon to be 18 and i am from Manchester, England. I am a student and i have realised i would like to see as much of the world as i can whilst i still can. I look forward to getting involved more.

I was brought here by a friend on here called Jakub_W and together plus 2 friends we're planning a trip around parts of Europe which will hopefully be great.

In a nutshell we are using the 5 travel days within 10 inter rail pass which will cover August 11-21st. We are planing to both buy the Pass through railcc to help you guys which shall be in the next week or 2 but also Start in Amsterdam and end in Barcelona.

We as a group are trying to find a good balance of interesting places seeing as many as possible but also trying to limit spending more time on travel then seeing places! So to get from Amsterdam to Barcelona we have planned to go to some Cities we find interesting as a group. The cities we are considering visiting are Berlin and Prague as these are sort of on the way to Barcelona but obviously going a longer way. Between Prague and Barcelona we are not sure where to visit? We was thinking some part of Italy? What do you guys suggest.. Also what do you think of our plans so far?

We will be pre-booking a hostel and staying in a dorm so that's no problem; i think we just want to have a flavour of the lifestyle in the cities, the food, meet people, see the sights and have a few beers in the night. Little hidden gems within Europe on the way would be a bonus aswell!

What route would you guys recommend or where would you go between Prague and Barcelona? Would be great to get some feedback :)

I look forward to hearing from you'se! o)

Regards,
Callum 8)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Jakub_W
Traveller
11 comments

replied 10 years ago

[u]https://rail.cc///f9741[/u]
Could one of the mods please delete that topic as i didnt put much info in it and we're both going the same way! :) Cheers!

Good to see you here Callum, 1 addition - we would like to include The little yellow train on the way to Barca if possible, I've been to Barcelona 4 times and never had a chance to go on it!

Userpic

Callum_E
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 years ago

[quote]
we would like to include The little yellow train on the way to Barca if possible, I've been to Barcelona 4 times and never had a chance to go on it![/quote]

Yeah Jakub that's a must! :D

Lets see what feedback we get..

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

I would consider going to Munich from Prague?
Lots of beer halls and the beer is as good as it is in Prague :D

I have never been to france or italy which would seem the obvious stop from prague to barcelona but I cant really recommend any places without having been there myself!

Jay

Userpic

Callum_E
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 years ago

[quote]I would consider going to Munich from Prague?
Lots of beer halls and the beer is as good as it is in Prague :D

I have never been to france or italy which would seem the obvious stop from prague to barcelona but I cant really recommend any places without having been there myself!

Jay[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Jaycho!

Yeah Munich sounds a good shout as soon as i read plenty of beer halls i'm interested haha!

So many nice places e.g Munich, Rome, Zurich! its hard to plan for so short trips trying to cram it all into 10 days! I think we'll probably create a strict 10 day plan and will probably change a long the way knowing us! haha

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

Nothing wrong with changing plans!
I am doing a 5in 10 pass with a friend next month, cant wait!

Also budapest/bratislava could be one to consider from prague!

Userpic

Callum_E
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 years ago

[quote]Nothing wrong with changing plans!
I am doing a 5in 10 pass with a friend next month, cant wait!

Also budapest/bratislava could be one to consider from prague![/quote]

I suppose it feels right at the time there's nothing wrong with it ey! I'll have a browse at Budapest now thanks!

And hope you have a great time on your trip mate and let me know how you get on. :)

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

Cheers pal you too!

I'll most probably post something up on the original thread after i am back from there!

Userpic

Callum_E
Traveller
7 comments

replied 10 years ago

[quote]Cheers pal you too!

I'll most probably post something up on the original thread after i am back from there![/quote]

Thanks very much! Ill keep my eyes open! :o

Userpic

Jakub_W
Traveller
11 comments

replied 10 years ago

There's a lot of possibilities between Prague and Barcelona, I think that having a list of all the stuff that we could see on the way would be useful and then just pick a couple or add some more as we go down from Prague!

Munich would be great but going more towards Eastern Europe would be a great experience.

I guess the more options we have the better!

Jaycho - enjoy your trip man, let us know how it went!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi.
With a 5 in 10 you don't have a lot of options - as getting to Barcelona is a long trip ...
A realistic route without spending too much extra money would be with the 5 in 10:
- Amsterdam to Berlin by free day train
- Berlin to Prague by free day train
- Prague to Munich by free day train
- Munich to Paris by overnight train - save the money for a hostel - recommended to book in advance
- Paris to Barcelona by night train including the Little Yellow Train: [u]https://rail.cc/blog/little-yellow-train-video/[/u] - I also recommend to book the night train in advance.

Of course if you use for example the 10 in 22, you could easily extend your trip to Krakow, Budapest, even some more Eastern Europe and back via Croatia, Italy to Barcelona.
Peter :)

Userpic

Jakub_W
Traveller
11 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi Peter, cheers for the advise!
Unfortunately I only have 10 days off work and cannot travel for any longer :/ During my last interrail trip i covered merely half the distance we want to do this year but we were thinking of something like:

Flight to Amsterdam on the 11th - stay for a night
12th - first travel day - day train to Berlin, arrive in the evening
13-14th - Berlin, get a day train to Prague, arrive in the evening, 14th Aug.
15-16th - Prague - on the 16th departure - either Munich - Milan or any other route, get down to the coast (Nice/Monaco area) and follow the coast, through Port Bou to Barcelona. If we can manage the time well, include The Little Yellow Train.

We do want to have some freedom so we dont really want to plan Prague-Barcelona trip and go where we feel like at the time! Any thoughts?

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

[quote]Jaycho - enjoy your trip man, let us know how it went![/quote]

Thanks Jakub!
I see you have been to cologne before... Were there any traditional german pubs or any sights u can recommend apart from the koln catherdral?

Userpic

Jakub_W
Traveller
11 comments

replied 10 years ago

I spent a few hours on my way back to Manchester as I have family 50km away from Cologne and the airport there has good connections. Apart from the Cathedral i just walked around the streets, stopped in a couple of pubs which names i cannot remember. One i do remember though, Brauhaus Sion, is great. My family told me to visit it if i get a chance, really nice beer!

Sorry i cant of of more help!

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thanks Jakub, I have looked into Brauhaus Sion, looks good! I'll go there for a few beers for sure!