Userpic

ascraeus
Traveller
34 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Hey dudes & dudettes,

I come up with an interrail route starting from sarajevo after my departure from istanbul sabiha gökçen. Following up with mostar probably I will use local transportation like bus or something not to waste another day of my railing ticket staying a day there heading towards dubrovnik with bus again. from dubrovnik to save another day, I will try taking ferry to split to spend another night there in a hostel or something. so far so good, I won't waste any of my pass days till split. I don't know if it makes using ferry and bus throught the places but some of them does not include possible railing system anyway yet.

staying a day in split I will take the train to budapest to bratislava like at 17:40 but as for there is no direct train to bratislava I will have to change trains at budapest, calculating that my arrival to budapest will be like 09:40 I will use a locker at the station paying a reasonable amount and taking a hike around the city till 17:25 train to bratislava. I wonder If I have to use another day of rail pass for the train at 17:25 they say, you had better to choose trains after 19:00 not to waste the following day. I will be glad if someone enlighten me with the suitable information.

arriving bratislava like 20:30 I will stay for a day to make another fresh start tomorrow with a train to prague (20:05 arriving the following day at 06:00 am to spend 2 beautiful day in this fair city) and then another night train at 18:29 ta zurich arriving morrow at 09:17 am to bypass to bern with another local or bypasser train.

staying for two days at bern (probably this part will be the most interesting and entertaining one in bern, cos of it may be the exact place that I wanna stay for hundred of years) at 16:00 I will use my last day of railing pass to arrive milano I haven't decided which train to take from bern to milan but probably there are a few I can catch up and schedule on arriving bern.

and the last stop will be milano spending a day there and taking plane to istanbul sabiha gökcen .

total day spend including 3 night train and 2 short-distance train is 12 travelling + accomodition days.

things that I wonder for those bother to read the whole info (anyway you are welcome at least taking a look at this plan, also you, whoever you are, are really nice indeed for sparing your precious time =3,):

-- is it wise to use short distance expeditions for the provided days between the corresponding days? (like zurich to bern)

-- May I use the local or suburban train through out my global pass deadline(ten days) or for the days I already specified as total of 5 days out of 10 pass?

-- for those trains I got before 19:00 do I have to use another day while changing trains? so trains I got before 19:00 cost me two days instead of one?

-- any criticism bestowed upon this loosy plan is welcome.

Follow this topic
Userpic

ascraeus
Traveller
34 comments

replied 10 years ago

and The 19:00h rule for night trains explains a part here. got it. but some parts does not include any train connection after 19:00 instead they all have 17:00 trains etc. any idea about that?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi,

finally I can answer your post as well... :os

So...I would recommend to take the scenic railway line from Sarajevo via Mostar to Ploce; from Ploce you can travel by bus to Dubrovnik. Regular fare Sarajevo - Ploce by train is something like 12€ or so, not really expenisve. ;)

If you enjoy going by ferry you might want to travel with the twice weekly Dubrovnik - Split - Rijeka Jadrolinja service until Split: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/dubrovnik-to-rijeka[/u]

Split to Budapest/Bratislava and the 1900 rule for night trains:
The 1900 rule means that if you start on day A with a through night train and arrive on day B at 0400 or later you only have to use one travel day, namely day B. On day B you can use as many trains as you want as long as you leave the night train at 0400 or later.
If you want to use a train on day A that leaves before 1900 you will need to buy an extra ticket until the first stop after 1900; or use two travel days of your ticket.

There are two connections from Split to Budapest, the direct night train is running just twice a week: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail/split-to-budapest[/u]

If you dont get a reservation for the direct night train it would be better to stay overnight in Budapest.

Prague - Züruch night train [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train/prague-zurich-cnl458/39[/u]

If you want to go to Bern straightaway without visiting Zürich you might leave the night train in Basel already and take an IC train from there to Bern.

Bern to Milan: There are a few direct EC trains via Brig - Domodossola but these require a reservation of 11€. If you want to invest a bit of time and spend the whole day on the train through beautiful scenery just tell and I can come up with a few suggestions. :)

Suburban trains are included only on the 5 travel days.
Trains before 1900 will require two travel days as explained above.

Flo 8)

Userpic

ascraeus
Traveller
34 comments

replied 10 years ago

Great! Thanks for the info.