Userpic

lucy123
Traveller
5 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Hello, I feel like i've asked 100's of questions (sorry) but this forum is really helpful! :os

I am interrailing this summer (July 27th - 10th August) and am aware that this is the peak time for travelling. There are quite a few trains such as the train from Zurich to Paris that we cannot make reservations for online. ([u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail/-to-[/u])

I was just wondering how risky it is to leave reservations until the same day or the night before during peak season. (i will be in Zurich Friday 9th) I am looking for the direct train where the 9 euros reservation is required. Have you ever faced any issues with this? I understand you cannot say 100% but you definitely have more experience than i do! haha!

Also, will i face many troubles on my other train journeys and booking them the same day. Here are the routes I am planning, do any raise concern/sell out quickly?

Amsterdam - Berlin
Munich - Venice
Venie - Milan
Milan - Como
Como - Zurich
Zurich - Paris

Thanks! :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi!

Amsterdam - Berlin: No reservation required, hop on the train and get a seat.
Munich - Venice: No reservation required for the EuroCity trains via Innsbruck, but a supplement applies that is payable on the train. I would recommend to take one of the two direct EuroCity trains that run directly to Venice to avoid a change of trains in Verona.
Venice - Milan: Frequent (up to half-hourly) Frecciabianca trains operate that require a 10€ reservation. No problem to get the reservation at a ticket machine in Italy. I did this trip last July and we got reservations two days prior to departure but it wouldn't had been a problem to do on the day of departure as well (especially as there are so many trains per day). If you want to avoid the 10€ reservation fee there are a few direct local trains taking a bit longer than the Frecciabianca trains.
Milan - Como: Local trains, no reservation required. Avoid the EuroCity trains to Zurich as they would require a reservation.
Como - Zurich: Again, avoid the direct EuroCities, instead travel by local trains across the border to Switzerland (Chiasso is the border station). Within Switzerland, the EuroCity trains do not require a reservation so you can hop on one of those or use any other domestic train towards Zurich.
Zurich - Paris: If you want to make sure to get a seat on a certain train it is no problem to make this reservation for instance at Berlin station already.