Userpic

AlexJMartin
Traveller
4 comments

Posted 11 years ago

I have booked flights into Prague and out of Split after 14 nights.

I'm now trying to optimize the route.

I think Prague (3 nights), travel, Vienna (2 nights), short travel (I think it's about 2 hours?), Bratislava (1 night), short travel (again I think two hours?), Budapest (3 nights), 6 hour travel, Zagreb (1 night), 6 hour travel, Split (3 nights) could work well and would be 5 days using trains within 10 days.

I hope this seems feasible. The Bratislava stop was just because I was only using 4 of my 5 travel days and it's on the way between Vienna and Budapest.

I'd love to visit the Plitvice lakes on the way between Zagreb and Split - would it be a viable plan to get up after the night in Zagreb, get a train to Plitvice, see the lakes and then get a train into Split for the evening all using one travel day?

I just worry we'd be rushing around the lakes, and what if I couldn't get the train I wanted and didn't make it to Split? I was booking hostels in advance to give my first interrail trip some structure.

I'll be travelling with a few friends.

This is my first post - I ready the sticky so I hope I'm in the right place etc.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hey. :)
For the 5 in 10 it's a nice route you selected.
But you can still optimize it...
Think about:
Prague - Krakow - Vienna - in one day from Vienna with stop in Bratislava and in the evening to Budapest - Zagreb.
You can not reach Plitvice Lakes by train ... you have to use a bus:
Zagreb - Plitvice Lakes: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/zagreb-to-plitvice-lakes[/u]
Plitvice Lakes - Split: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/plitvice-lakes-to-split[/u]
Or day trip from Zagreb to the lakes and back.
Calculate, one day might even left.
And if you like to support the information on railcc, support us with your purchase of your official Interrail pass via our partner link [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux]
Thank you! :)
Peter :)

Userpic

AlexJMartin
Traveller
4 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi, thanks for the quick response!

1) Were you suggesting Prague Krakow Vienna in one day? Would we really see enough of Krakow to make it worth it? I wonder if we could spend a night in Krakow and sacrifice one from somewhere else, where would you suggest?
2) Although I'd like to do the Zagreb-Plitvice-Split day journey, unless there are lockers or something we'd be carrying our heavy night rucksacks around Plitvice Lakes, would that be a bit tough perhaps?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 11 years ago

1) oh sorry... I wanted to say Vienna - BRATISLAVA - Budapest. ;)
Krakow is of course worth a longer stay (and cheap!)
2) I don't know about lockers there but I think it shouldn't be a problem to leave your backpacks at the information somewhere there... otherwise, hide them in the nowhere behind some trees. :)

Userpic

AlexJMartin
Traveller
4 comments

replied 11 years ago

I think perhaps the detour to Krakow may be overreaching a little bit! I think I'd rather waste the travel day, do the bus journey and see Plitvice but not bother with Krakow.

I wonder if the travel day could be used in one of the other cities for a day trip out at all?

Userpic

AlexJMartin
Traveller
4 comments

replied 11 years ago

Also what's the chance of actually getting the bus to Plitvice and to Split from there without pre-booking? Is pre-booking possible?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi,

well...do you really have all your hostels booked already?

You could do day trips from Prague to Dresden (~2h15 each way), from Vienna to Salzburg (~2h20) or Graz (~2h30). Also possible: Ljubljana from Zagreb (~2h20).

I dont know about pre booking the bus tickets...but there should be several operators on this route so it should be sufficient to just book the tickets on the day you arrive in Zagreb.

I am not really sure if it would make sense to go to Plitvice, than back to Zagreb only to travel down to Split by train...on the other hand it might be more convenient as you could leave your luggage in Zagreb at the hostel (or at the lockers at the station if you were thinking about getting to Split overnight).

Flo 8)

Userpic

AlexJMartin
Traveller
4 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi, I don't have anything booked but the flights. I booked them because I have a specific time in which I can go.
I'll have to arrive in the evening since there appears to only be one train from Budapest to Zagreb, which arrives at about 19:00? Which means I'd have to book when I arrived at the bus in the morning, so I was worried that the buses might not have space for us. Assuming the bus out of Plitvice to Split could be booked at the bus terminal in Zagreb? Would be pretty rubbish to arrive in Plitvice and have no way to get out! Thanks for the ideas though.