Userpic

orestgreece
Traveller
44 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Hello there,

I am currently in Prague and in 28th I will be in Bamberg and after I want to be in 2-3 of April in Mannheim . I will buy an InterRail ticket and I am thinking which places should I include on those 4-5 free days until my arrival in Mannheim . What are your suggestions ??

PS: Peter I saw that you live close in Mannheim (thanks to google maps) so we can meet also while I will be in Mannheim :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1333 comments

replied 11 years ago

IF you only ant to see DE=Germany, then IR is waste of money. Go by landestickets- for 1 person about 21/22 eur/day, and includes NOT the swizzy ICE-trains, but the locals and also nearly ALL bus/tram/metro etc. Overnight at borderplaces-start new land next morning!
But if you want to speed 1000+ kms/day and go via very expensive countries like the swiss,m then IR will certainly pay off. There are even a very few overnite trains in DE with unreserved seats (in PART of those trains)- I think there is even an overview of them somewhere.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hey... :)
Of course we meet for a beer. Mannheim is just 30 minutes by train away from my home. :)
Concerning the cities and the ticket: first select the cities, then decide if Interrail pass or not.
There are a lot of special price offers available and regional tickets. So if you don't make the big distances, I will recommend you cheaper individual tickets.
As cities: as you are in Mannheim, definitely go as well to Heidelberg. If weather is nice, sit on the river and have some beers. Lots of students there.
Personal favouristes of me are: Berlin (where I just stayed the past 3 days) - it is cheap, a lot to see, good night life, good hostels. Then think about Hamburg. Munich in the south - but also Nuremberg ...
Prague to Bamberg is possible by special price ticket for EUR 29 0n [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux]
Then make the round like for example: Munich - (by night train) - Berlin - Hamburg - Cologne area - and along the river Rhine down to Mannheim.
There are a lot of nice cities in Germany... and I think these big ones are good to start with to get an overview and find cheap accommodation.
Peter :)

Userpic

orestgreece
Traveller
44 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thank you both for the answers :D :D Logically I ll stay inside Germany . I have been in Berlin and Munich so I dont think I ll go there again . Heidelberg is already on my list and Koln as well . I was thinking about Dusseldborf because there will be a friend of me on that dates,and is close to Koln so that will be a good 4-5 days for me in that area .

ps. Peter I ll inform when I will be in Mannheim,so we will have the chance to meet ;)

Userpic

orestgreece
Traveller
44 comments

replied 11 years ago

Probably I ll not go to Bamberg because it looks that Bamberg-Panathinaikos match is sold out :( :(
So I have this plan in my mind .. 5-6 days trip,then 5 days in Mannheim and then 1 night in Nurnberg and back to Prague ..
[u]https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Praga,+Rep%C3%BAblica+Checa&daddr=Dresden,+Deutschland+to:Leipzig,+Deutschland+to:G%C3%B6ttingen,+Deutschland+to:Dortmund,+Deutschland+to:D%C3%BCsseldorf,+Deutschland+to:K%C3%B6ln,+Deutschland+to:Mannheim,+Deutschland+to:N%C3%BCrnberg,+Deutschland+to:Praha,+%C4%8Cesk%C3%A1+republika&hl=el&ie=UTF8&ll=50.569283,14.436035&spn=7.914761,21.643066&sll=50.373496,10.623779&sspn=3.972963,10.821533&geocode=FZIX_AIdqU3cACmLeXAJnJMLRzGQQBZmD68ABA%3BFan3CgMdLp3RACmp1hoQKc8JRzGw_ohCy7EhBA%3BFbBhDwMdU8y8AClzLA8gGPimRzFS9bS50oDfkw%3BFbBpEgMd2oOXACnHyphvuNSkRzEwPqyUbawlBA%3BFfMIEgMdUulxACkRevC_YBe5RzFQh1QxgfInBA%3BFV2sDQMd0FpnACkHWUbxe8m4RzGwcypK_GAnBA%3BFbs-CQMdlzRqACnlL6tpkSW_RzHwdypK_GAnBA%3BFWMe8wIddy6BAClFP45RJMyXRzGH5gakev7ksQ%3BFf6T8gIdjgSpACnTHLa1rlefRzG3IYypha9d3Q%3BFZIX_AIdqU3cACmLeXAJnJMLRzGQQBZmD68ABA&oq=praha&mra=ls&t=m&z=6[/u]

Probably I ll take the pass for 10 days ..

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi.
I am just calculating the point to point tickets - all prices if you book now (early) - and you are then fixed on date and train:

Prague - Dresden: EUR 19
Dresden - Leipzig: EUR 19
Leipzig - Göttingen: EUR 29
Göttingen - Dortmund: EUR 29
Dortmund - Düsseldorf - Cologne: there you might use local traffic. Will check for tickets.
Cologne - Mannheim: EUR 29
Mannheim - Nuremberg: meinfehrnbus.de - by bus for EUR 10
Nuremberg - Pragu: EUR 19

Total: less than EUR 160 plus the local traffic in the Cologne area.

But it is up to you - if you want to have a fixed route or not. Just as an idea. :)
Booking then via [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux] as e-ticket.

Userpic

orestgreece
Traveller
44 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hmmm the truth is that I wanted to have a more flexible program but if it is less expensive then maybe I ll book one by one the tickets ..

Thank you again and again :) :D :D

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 11 years ago

If you want to stay flexible and maybe have a spontaneous trip - or do several cities/stops on one day, forget about this little difference in the price between special prices and the flexible Interrail pass.
Interrail is very nice in Germany, as you can use every train for free! :)
Except the ICE sprinter, a business train, which you won't meet during your trip. :)