Userpic

jghjgh
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Hello,

Quick question: I am 'resident' in Serbia (i.e. I have lived here like 3.5 years, have a resident visa in my passport proving it) and plan to buy an Interrail to travel back to the UK - where I was born, and where my passport is from. Now, I'd like to use my Interrail to travel around the UK to see friends and family etc. Because I am 'resident' in Serbia, I can do this. However, I can't believe that when a British guy shows it with a British passport it to the ticket inspector, they will actually believe I'm playing by the rules...! What's the procedure in this case? Is there a 24hr hotline that the inspector can ring?

Thanks,

Rick

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 11 years ago

maybe-that s different for every country. And I guess for the way you Brits organise your trains-probably, IF it exist at all, different for every TOC.
In general I have hardly ever seen passprt checked-nor that ''routing'' thing you have to fill out. That was in at least 12 IR-usages through the years.
A such you are fully ''legal''. In fact you could also buy a BRITrail pass for travel in the UK-depending on routing, this may work out cheaper. check [u]https://rail.cc/en/rail-pass[/u] for an overview.

Userpic

jghjgh
Traveller
1 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks very much for your reply. TBH I think if I was/looked/sounded foreign, I couldn't see it being a problem. But a blatantly English man using IR in his own country is sure to raise eyebrows. I was just wondering if there was a 24 hr hotline that one could ring so they can confirm this... Also, do they scan the barcode on the ticket? This could help with verification.

Also re the Britrail, I've seen it and if one really pushed oneself it could work out, but for me it's not really applicable - very expensive to buy and IR and then a BritRail, and besides, I can legally use my IR everywhere except for Serbia, so I want to do that.

best

rick.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hej Rick,

I've been travelling several times in the UK with IR passes and they usually seem to be quite a rare sight for conductors. Most of them dont even take the ticket in their hands - it is enough that you present them the ticket which is totally different to regular UK train tickets and they are fine.
I think my passport was never checked in the UK (and was checked just a few times during the last years in other countries).

In case you get checked, I dont see the problem: You have a Serbian residency permit in your passport which should explain why you are travelling with a Serbian IR pass and a UK passport.
When purchasing the ticket it comes with a brochure in which the basic rules are stated - in case there are any troubles this should help.

Flo 8)