Userpic

DDefuse
Traveller
5 comments

Posted 11 years ago

So me and 3 friends are going on Interrail again.
Because last year was awesome, it was the perfect route for a beginning interrailer.
more of that later in another post.
This year we wanna do a route that looks something like this:

Amsterdam > Ljublijana (Slovenia) > Rijekka (Croatia) > KRK > Zagreb > Beograd (Serbia) > Sofia Bulgaria > Thessaloniki (Greek)> Alexandroupolis > Istanbul. (Turkey)
Terugweg:
Istanbul > Burgas (Bulgaria) > Bucuresti (Ukrain) > Budapest (Hungary) > Warsaw (Poland) > Amsterdam.

we have a 22 day Interrail pass.
anyone made this round before?
[b]please give us your opinion/tips/comments.[/b]

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 11 years ago

as you say to start from AMS; I guess youre also NL.
The connections GR/TR/BG are NOT possible by train, not now and not in summer. Also along the coast in old Yugo is bus or boat.
Adapt routing or forget IR
Even if there were trains all that ways, then it would mean [if I count quickly] 14/15 out of 21 nights in trains- and half of them in not the most pleasant or comfy ones.

Userpic

DDefuse
Traveller
5 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks for the reply man,
what d'you mean by GR/ TR/ BG ? Germany, ..., bulgaria?
i don't get it;p, you can post it in Dutch if you want because you're right, i am Dutch.
(BOSSCHENAREN ZIE JE OVERAL!)
We know it's a lot of traveling, last year we traveled like 18 of the 22 days.
We don't mind that though. :)
I personally love travelling. (especially by train).

Userpic

Tomthebear
Traveller
138 comments

replied 11 years ago

I think he means GReece, Turkey and Bulgaria. If you want to travel from Greece to Istanbul, you have to take a bus, because of the cut-back of international trains to and from Greece. There is a bus from Thessaloniki to Istanbul, and one from Alexandroupolis. Maybe it`s the same bus, I don`t know. From Istanbul to Bulgaria is possible by train.

Oh, and Bucuresti is the capitol of Romania, not Ukrain ;)

Userpic

DDefuse
Traveller
5 comments

replied 11 years ago

Aaahhh thanks tom,
think i've never looked this stupid online;p haha
anyway thanks a lot for explaining NLtrainer was trying to say.
just to be clear: it is possible, right?
coz last year we made a round that's like.. as big as this one but mostly in west europe. and i guess the railcompanies are a little bit more organised than in eastern europe.
Anyway i want to send my thanks to the founders of this site because it's great.
Really helps me a lot.
so i'm trying to add as much cool locations to this site as I can.
and i KNOW this site's gonna make it.

far out railccs! ;)

DDefuse

o)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thank you! ;)

Well, your route is alright, the only problem is Greece, as there are no train connections to Greece from its neighbouring countries at the moment. So, if you want to go to Greece you should consider a bus, or cancel Greece for this trip, or work your way across the borders by foot/taxi/bus to connect the nearest train stations on each side of the borders. The latter way certainly is the most adventurous, but probably also the most fun way to do.

Dont expect another answer from nltrainer...he always just posts one answer in his typical style full of abbreviations... :os

Anyways, 22 days is not really much time for your route...definitely feasible but not the easiest thing to do. But as you already have some InterRail experience you should be fine. :)
Take care that on some legs of your route there are only one or two trains each day. And although for most of them you wont need extra reservations you should take care to get them otherwise you would be stuck for a whole day which is not a good thing as you dont have too much time.

Flo 8)

Userpic

DDefuse
Traveller
5 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks Flow!
i really appreciate the effort everyone makes to answer eachothers questions or give eachother tips.
this site is so awesome.
everyone is so nice!
far out brother.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

You're welcome! :)