Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Hi,

I have just looked into this as a possible travel route with a flight from England to Zagreb and fly back to England from Amsterdam.

I would use the 5 travel days in 10days pass for this:
Zagreb - Budapest - Bratislava - Vienna - Prague - Berlin - Amsterdam

Would it be useful to book up all hostels in advance as I have researched into this and came up with a total travel and accomodation cost of £440.

I know a lot of people like to have the freedom but would the cost of hostels be a lot more if they just turn up on the day they arrive without a plan?

If I did this rout it would be in late June/early July

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 11 years ago

you ommited the most basic: WHEN. In this whole world there are busy ad nonbusy times.
Ive found that since all those apps and as any youngster seems unable to think of a world without www, that hoStels are often very surpised or unwiling to take walk-ins-they suspect something. BUT that varies an awful lot-in east EUr its still often walk in-or rather: fone in at tourist info or so- dont risk being them full. MOst hoStels have set prices-the same for 5 month, 5 weeks or 5 mins before arriving-just like normal train tickets still have in most countries.
ZAG-BP has just 1 train left, only for the Overnight Pr-Ams you need to reserve. For the others you can if too scared to have to maybe stand. As you also did not explain how you get to that amount-plus that its about all in EUR anyway, I cannot figure it out.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi.
Doable with the 5 in 10.
Travel Bratislava to Vienna with a normal ticket and don't spent a day of your rail pass. It is about EUR 15.
Hostels: I often book the during my trip one day before arrival (if I want to be flexible). Nearly all hostels have internet, so just use one of the big booking websites and do it online.
Then it is easy: you arrive in your next town, go to the hostel, leave your luggage and that's it.
Peter :)

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys,if I do travel it will be in june/july.
I had considered leaving one of the cities out so I wouldnt have to pay the extra fare but it silly to use the IR pass for a short journey like bratislava to vienna :)

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 11 years ago

Looks like my friend is now joining me this summer,we have discussed the route and it looks as if now it is
Ljubiana-zagreb-budapest-bratislava-vienna-prague-amsterdam

I have one concern though, regarding staying safe in the more eastern cities.
Would it be safe for non-caucasian people in all of these countries?
I know it is stereo-typical but i am just worried due to the racist chanting etc in football matches

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Humm...that's a rather difficult question I think. Generally, I think you dont have to worry regarding general safety. However I could imagine that there might be some issues when going out - but I'd say that this isnt common.

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 11 years ago

I've had a look and i should be fine as long as i stick To the touristy areas :)

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 11 years ago

My friend and I have updated our route now as the flights from birmingham airport were causing a problem:

Flight Bham-Bratislava 16th July Ryanair 17:35-21:00 £52
16th Tue Arrive Bratislava 21:00
17th Wed Bratislava
18th Thursday Bratislava. Go to Vienna at 18:00
19th Fri Vienna 16:03- Zagreb 22:42 Interrail starts Day 1
20th Sat Zagreb
21st Sunday 10:00 Zagreb- 16:34 Budapest travel day 2
22nd Monday Budapest
23rd Tue Budapest 11:34 – Prague 18:21 travel day 3
24th Wed Prague
25th Thursday Prague
26th Fri Prague 8:00-Berlin 13:15 13:49-Cologne 18:09 travel day 4
27th Sat Cologne
28th Sunday Cologne-Amsterdam 10.46-13.25 travel day 5
29th Monday Amsterdam
30th Tuesdays Amsterdam – Bham Flight 10.25 20.35 £45

Accomodation we plan to use is as follows:

Bratislava 16th 17th 2nights Art Hostel Taurus £54 6 bed mixed
Vienna 18th 1night Strawberry Youth Hostel Vienna £45 private twin.
Zagreb 19th 20th 2 nights Buzz Hostel £57.15 4bedmixed dorm
Budapest 21st 22nd 2nights Unity Hostel £50 6 bed shared both with breakfast
Prague 23rd 24th 25th 3 Nights Plus Hostel 4bed mixed £71
Cologne 26th 27th 2nights 96EUR
Amsterdam 28th 29th 2nights Inner Amsterdam 6bed mixed with breakfast £86.92

Has anyone used these hostels before, maybe reccomend something cheaper in amsterdam and cologne maybe?

Thanks

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi.
Looks good your route, especially as [b]you do not need reservations[/b] (no extra costs beside the Interrail pass) ! :)

[b]Vienna - Zagreb[/b]: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/vienna-to-zagreb[/u]

[b]Zagreb - Budapest[/b]: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/zagreb-to-budapest[/u]

[b]Budapest- Prague[/b]: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/budapest-to-prague[/u]

[b]Prague - Cologne[/b]: using day trains is free of extra reservation fees.
But on this route you can also use the[b] direct night train[/b] if you want to save travel time and the money for a hostel. And if you do not want to visit Berlin, do it as follow:
To spent only ONE of your travel days, you can make use of the 1900-h-rule for night trains: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train[/u]
But you have to do it this way:

1) Point to [b]point ticket from Prague to Ústí nad Labem[/b] ([u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/prague-amsterdam-cnl-456/14[/u]

In Cologne either use lockers (EUR 4) or go to the hostel you will stay (luggage room), they should be open from at least 08:00h in the morning. And as the main station of Cologne is just in front of the big Cathedral, have a coffee there and enjoy the empty place in the morning before it gets full of people during the day. :)

[b]Cologne - Amsterdam[/b]: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/cologne-to-amsterdam[/u]

Concerning the [b]hostels[/b], I recommend to check the reviews on the booking sites.
If you book via these links, for you the prices is the same but railcc gets a little commission to keep the servers running:
Hostelworld: [ux]https://rail.shop/hostelworld[/ux]

As well you can order your Interrail Pass here via our partner link [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] if you want to support our work.

Thank you. :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hej,

it should be possible to go with the night train until Usti as well: But you will have to use the designated 2nd class coaches which run to Berlin without compulsory reservation and which should be available for domestic travel within CZ as well. In Usti you can then change coaches and go to the overnight portion of the train.

Flo 8)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 11 years ago

Oh, my fault ... much easier then! :)
Flow knows everything in detail! :)

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi,

Thank you both for your help :)

I have looked into night trains and we may consider this, but im pretty sure my friend wants to travel in the day if possible which is fine by me as it would be nice to take in some scenery :)

I will definitely use the links to book accommodation where possible to support the work you do! very helpful :D

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 11 years ago

Does the IR pass enable me to use the underground trains on my travel days?

E.g.- 23rd Tue Budapest 11:34 – Prague 18:21 travel day 3
can I use the underground when i arrive or will i need to buy a seperate ticket?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 11 years ago

Subways are not included as they do not belong to the European national railway companies.
But Budapest is inexpensive: one ticket is about 1,20 EUR
And in Prague I always walk.... :)

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 11 years ago

10 weeks until i leave now :D

Are there any trains on my route which get quite busy and I will need to buy reservations for?
How long in advance can i buy them?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 11 years ago

Pre-booking time for reservations is usually 3 months (sometimes 2 months). As you won't use night trains on your route (if I see right), there is no need to buy reservations. :)

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks Peter, I am just a bit worried just in case some of the trains are really busy trains and are full!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 11 years ago

I don't see big problems. Be a bit earlier at the train if it starts from the station you leave. Then you will get a seat.
Only the Berlin or Cologne-Amsterdam train might be a bit fuller (depends on date and time and ...) - if you really want to have a reservation for it, buy it at a ticket machine at a German railway station = EUR 4.

:idea: And don't forget: buy your official Interrail pass via our partner link ( [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] ) to support all this information.
Thank you. :)

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 11 years ago

Will be buying it in 12 days when I get paid! :D

Userpic

robbieog
Traveller
1 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi Guys,
I am taking a similar route but doing it the other way. My main problem is getting from Vienna to Zagreb. We think we will leave out Budapest. I am finding it very hard to find a train route from Vienna to Zagreb. Any ideas or are buses more common in Croatia?

Thanks,
Rob

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hej Rob,

have a look here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/vienna-to-zagreb[/u]

I wonder where you did check for timings before?

To support railcc, buy your InterRail pass in our online shop. Thank you. :)

Flo 8)

PS: If you have further questions regarding your route, please open a new thread in the travel routes section, thanks.

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

I have been searching prices to buy tickets from bratislava to vienna but for me and my friend(both 25 years old) the ticket is £36 for both of us.

Is this quite expensive or normal? It is a one way ticket for an hours journey!

Thanks

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Buy it locally at Bratislava station. There is a special fare EUregio return fare available for just 13€.

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thanks Flow!

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

I have bought reservations for budapest-prague and prague- berlin through railcc this mornign and last night, however I leave on Tuesday 16th,if i dont have them by then will my confirmation emails be accepted?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

You will need the paper reservations, the confirmation is not an official document. :|
Which trains have you reserved?

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi Flow,

These are the trains that I have reserved

24th Wed Budapest 09:34 – Prague 16:21 travel day 3

26th Fri Prague 8:00-Berlin 13:15

Would ACP be able to email me a copy of the reservations just in case so I can print off?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

You would have to contact them but I doubt it as the paper on which they are printed is a special sort to prevent duplicates.
You do not need seat reservations on these trains anyway, so in fact you could just sit down on your seat - nobody else will claim it as it is yours.

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thanks Flow, I booked the reservation for Prague-berlin as we need to get the 13.49 train from berlin-cologne

and then i just got a bit reservation happy :|

Userpic

Jaycho
Traveller
27 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hello!
I have been back from my interrail for 2 weeks now, just wanted to thank Peter and Flow for all their help!
The work you guys do is amazing, hopefully i will be going on an interrail next summer as well :D

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi.
That's nice to hear. Thank you! :)
And if you like, just add some nice locations you found during your trip ... or photos of trains/nighttrains ...
Thank you... Peter :)