Userpic

douchebag
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Hi all,

My question might confuse a lot of people. But I think i'm in the right forum for this one.

My girlfriend is 29 years old, a UK passport holder issued in Gibraltar. She, however, was residing in India from 2009 to Sept 2012. She is currently back in UK for a short academic stint (1 year) for her course that began on 1 October 2012.

Now my questions is as follows:

We intend to travel to Germany/Italy starting 25/26th March 2013 for about 8 days. She is unable to decide which pass to opt for (hoping to be eligible for Eurail), and the nature of the proof required. [b]We are in a fix, because she was NOT stamped on her passport when she arrived back to UK from India in September end (since she was returning to the 'home country' because of the UK passport)[/b]. Hence the passport might not be able to act as proof of residence inside/outside Europe. We do possess her bank statements in India till September. And similar UK bank statements from October 24th onwards. If you guys reckon that is sufficient, i'll be thrilled as we will be able to opt for a much cheaper Eurail pass rather than the Inter-rail pass. Because October to March will be less than 6 months making her eligible for a Eurail pass.

Even if that is insufficient, I would be very very thankful if someone could point me in the right direction, because I am not sure what other document than the passport can point to a specific date of residence in a particular country.

Looking forward to some guidance.

Thanks!
Sarthak

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1345 comments

replied 11 years ago

I do not see why for her an EUrail should be better-due to her age she can only use the Hi-price Full fare FIRST class version-and thats a lot of money for those trips. And I guess you will want to travel together?
IN fact do not worry that much-with a UK-passpt she can just order the Interrail that fits best-together with you. Surcharges/supplmts for reservations/seats etc are much the same for both. Buy that pass from the guys on this site-they make some commission to keep this site going. I also think you have to look better at the many alternatives that exist for your trip-incl. INterrail sorts.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi.
Like nltrainer said: Interrail

She lives in Europe (UK).
She has an European passport (UK).
So the rail pass she has to buy is [b]INTERRAIL[/b].

Buy your official Interrail pass via our partner link [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux]

Peter :)

Userpic

travelingyogi
Traveller
4 comments

replied 9 years ago

Was not exactly sure where to post this; but I have a rather complex case myself...

I left the US in January ( 6 months ago) and have been traveling Europe and living with a french family for the last 6 months - without a work or student visa; The rule is you must leave the Schlangen countries every 90 days and then you are able to re-enter; which I have done. As I have been living in Europe for 6 months; I am no longer able to buy the eurorail pass and am qualified for the interrail pass. HOWEVER - because I am only living with the family and not working; I do not have a visa or anything in my passport.

I do have a french cell phone with the address I have been living at; as well as access to utility bills of the same address but those which are not registered under my name.

The other issue is I flew into Europe through Germany; and then took a train into France. Meaning the entry stamp on my passport reads Germany - only after I left the Schlangen countries and then re-entered do I have a stamp for my entry into France; however this was less than 6 months ago.

I am concerned with the 'strictness' of the proof of residency and how carefully they check in the countries I will be traveling to (mostly Eastern Europe) I will not be using it in and major european country like France or Germany other than Italy.

Is it better for me to risk buying a eurorail pass even though I have been in Europe for more than 6 months?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 9 years ago

Hi.
If you do not have something official proving your residency for 6 month in an European country, you can not buy an Interrail pass.
But for Eastern Europe it is often not worth to buy an Eurail pass. There is as well the Balcan Flexi Pass, inexpensive and flexible. And as well the point to point tickets have interesting prices. What is your planed travel route?
Peter :)

Userpic

travelingyogi
Traveller
4 comments

replied 9 years ago

Is Croatia included or discounted with the Balkan Pass? It looks as if all of the countries I will be traveling to are covered except for Croatia and Italy (although there is a free ferry crossing to Italy included).

A couple of questions then...
When I go to checkout it states that my flexipass gives me first class seats. Does that mean I am obliged to sit in first class?

I will be traveling with 2 eurorail global pass holders - will I be able to take the same trains in those countries as they do? And if I can only purchase the first class pass, will I be allowed to sit with them if they are holding second class passes?

Thank you for the helpful hint; it looks like it going to save me a lot of money and stress!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 9 years ago

Hi.
The Balkan Flexi Pass is much cheaper bought locally in a participating country. Just search the forum, there are several topics about this subject.
Croatia and Italy are not included.
If Eurail is also valid in the country you travel with Balkan Flexi Pass, you can sit together in the same trains.
Peter

Userpic

travelingyogi
Traveller
4 comments

replied 9 years ago

Do you happen to have a coupon code for the Balkan Flexipass if purchasing through the railcc online shop?
Thank you for all of your help!

Although it does seem a bit cheaper to buy in the country's rail station it makes me a bit nervous to leave without any reassurance that I will be able to obtain a pass - is there ever any issues with buying them in the station; people in the blogs seem to be a bit confused about the exact details with the balkan flexipass.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

Hi!

It is no problem to purchase the ticket locally. There you will also get a 2nd class version of the ticket which will be much cheaper than to purchase online.
It would be no problem though to sit in 2nd class with a 1st class pass.

Flo 8)

Userpic

travelingyogi
Traveller
4 comments

replied 9 years ago

For the 15 days in one month - does that mean if I start my traveling on the 21st of July ; I will only have until the end of july? Or one month as in 30 days from the start date?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

One Month = 21 July until 20 August :)