Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Hey :) I have a vague plan for a trip I'm going to take next year, and was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on it please? Or suggestions for places to add in/swap. I'll be doing it on a 10 in 22 day pass. Is it too ambitious considering I want to do day trips such as Bled?

Amsterdam
Heidelberg
Paris (Heidelberg to Frankfurt and then pay supplement to Paris)
Munich and Fussen (night train from Paris)
Verona
Venice
Ljubljana and Bled (via Nova Gorica etc)
Budapest (night train)
Krakow (night train)

Thanks! :D

Follow this topic
Userpic

marlenka
Traveller
7 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hey strangequarklet,

your plan sounds quite good. If you have a few more days to spend, try to check the prices for trains in Eastern Europe. I think you maybe can buy single tickets and use your IR-ticket for Western Europe and do some more trips there.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hej,

the trip sound reasonable enough reservation-wise you will need the following:

ICE/TGV Alleo (Heidelberg -) Mannheim - Paris: 13€
CNL Paris - München: :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/paris-munich-cnl40451/32[/u]
EC München - Verona (on the way from Füssen to Verona): 7€
Budapest - Krakow night train: :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/budapest-krakow-night-train/f3304[/u]

There is no night train Ljubljana - Budapest.
With this schedule you should just have enough travel days to visit all the places you want to go. If you happen to want to add any extra stops, I would get a regular ticket for the rather short trips Verona - Venezia or Bled - Ljubljana.

Flo 8)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks Flo :)
Though it says here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/ljubljana-to-budapest[/u]
there is a Ljubljana - Budapest night train during the summer months 2 days a week, is this not still running? I don't fancy making that journey in daytime!!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Yup, that are the timings for this year. We dont have the final timings for next year yet, although it is likely that the train will again run with similar timings. We hope to update the information as soon as possible. ;)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 11 years ago

Can I just ask if you've had much experience with those particular night trains, or the Vienna to Krakow one too?
I've heard some horror stories online about them not being safe / bedbugs / being woken up 3 times in the middle of the night for border control. How much of that is actually true? I'd be going for a sleeper so I'm not too worried about the safety aspect.. just the rest! I really really want to see Budapest and Krakow though and don't see how I could find the time to go by day.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hej,

I have no experience with the mentioned night trains but have been travelling with quite a lot of other night trains: I did not experience anything like bedbugs or safety issues yet (lucky me), be it in a Serbian sleeping car (which have quite a bad reputation amongst railers) or in Italy or anywhere else. :)

Regarding border controls: The Ljubljana - Budapest train ran at least this year via Croatia which means that there are border controls. These are to be expected next year as well since Croatia has not joined Schengen area yet.
There should not be regular checks on the other night train although this might happen from time to time.

Flo 8)