Userpic

stopmoRoos
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Hello,
I'm just considering to use an interrail global ticket of 10 travel days within 22 days for a trip from Bristol (UK) to Budapest and back, in any interesting route. I'm going to a workshop week in Budapest 29 july - 5 august, and with this last minute decision other travel options don't seem much cheaper, and/or complicated and less fun, so I decided (or, almost decided) it could be a good occasion to take a bit more time for the journey and see some more on my way.
Now I only found that it is not possible to travel within your country of residence. I am studying and living in the UK at the moment, but I am originally from the Netherlands, and my ID is Dutch. Would it be possible to fill in the Netherlands as my country of residence, but get the ticket shipped to my address in the UK? And in this way still be able to just start my interrail journey in the UK? I'm getting a bit confused when filling in forms...
Also, I'm not entirely sure now if any tunnel and/or ferry from UK to mainland would be included in the interrail ticket or if this would add a lot of extra costs?
late decisions and confusions, sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help already.
Roos

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi Roos.
The country in which you lived the past six months is your country of residence.
If you ID-card or passport don't show that you lived in the UK for the past six months, it is no problem to buy a Netherlands Interrail Pass - so that you can travel for free in the UK. :)
Order the following way: select in the shop in the top right corner as country the UK
Then select the ticket you want and put it in the shopping basket. When you check-out, you have to fill in your personal data. There you select the Netherlands as your country. Read here as well:
[ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux]

Interrail Pass: [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux]
Thank you for supporting railcc! :)

London to Paris is expensive:
You have several options, I recommend an overnight bus.
Schedules and options: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail/london-to-paris[/u]
railcc Blog: [u]https://rail.cc/blog/london-to-paris-by-eurostar-train-bus-or-ferry//[/u]

Have a sunny trip, Peter :)

Userpic

stopmoRoos
Traveller
3 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

That sounds promising then... Would it be possible then to get at least all the way to dover with 'normal' trains without extra fees and just pay extra for a place on the ferry, or are these all train services by companies that are not included for interRail?

Aye, the only problem I see is the delivery time for the ticket, if it would take seven workdays that would mean I wouldn't have the ticket in time (to allow time to travel to Budapest before the 29th), there is no other option then as to pay for faster delivery?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi.
Usually delivery is faster than 7 working days - but guarantee only for these 7 working days. No faster option for the UK.
I recommend the bus for London to Paris - see link I gave you.
And for your trip to Budapest, also just use the railcc schedules I linked to.
Peter :)

Userpic

stopmoRoos
Traveller
3 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks again,

tricky... I imagine it should be faster then the 7 days, though if I really get it only on saturday I really have a problem...
Might just have to book asap and hope for the best... only have no plan b then...

I had a more detailed look at your links, thanks. Why would you recommend the bus above getting by train to dover and possibly asking motorists to join, sounds like that should be an allright possibility. Buses are cheaper then Eurostar for sure, though still it seems to be at least 30 pounds from the options I can find now, for a single journey. While the other option could be no extra costs besides the interrail ticket, or am I missing something?
Thanks again, all the schedules and map(!) and advice on this site is very helpful. Great work. :)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 11 years ago

The reservation you need for the Eurostar train from London to Paris is one-way: EUR 75 :((
And sometimes it is hard to find a motorist...

Userpic

stopmoRoos
Traveller
3 comments

replied 11 years ago

I know/saw that... :( but one of the options in that link showed a route by train via folkestone, Ashford to Dover just by normal trains, then I could ask motorists and if that seems to be difficult I could still buy a ticket for the ferry? That should be cheaper still, or at least not much more expensive then the bus, and I would have a chance to get on there for free...? Or are ferry tickets more expensive if you'd buy them in Dover itself, I've never been at Dover as a foot passenger... and have never 'hitchhiked' on a ferry, so I don't know how difficult it would be... Any idea of what would be a good place to try at least?