Userpic

FColum
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hello!

We are going for our first (short) Interrail trip with a friend next Sunday.
We have are flying to Berlin on 10.6, then buying a 5 in 10 Interrail-card and travel trough Amsterdam to London, where we have a flight back to Helsinki on 21.6. (Possibly visiting other towns inside the countries as well, to use more than 2 trips out of the 5 :D )

I was just wondering about a couple of things conserning the trip.

First, I believe that even if we only make those two train-trips, it will be the cheapest way to buy the interrail-card? Or are there some cheap student-tickets on those connections or something?

Also, I only now noticed the nasty supplements. Amsterdam-London route looks like a very expensive one. Is there some way we could travel that for a cheaper price? Maybe first going to Belgium or France and taking a ferry/tunnel? What is the cheapest way?

+ All tips considering budget travel are welcome. :D I noticed Amsterdam is a very expensive city. I believe we will be staying on a campsite there to save some money. How much money should I keep for food for an example in Amsterdam? What about museums and other places to see with entrance fees?
What is a good daily budget for Amsterdam? What about Berlin and London?

Sorry about the many questions, but trying to figure things out for the first trip. Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi.
In deed expensive cities you selected (London for the Olympics and Amsterdam, very touristy) - but interesting ones. In Berlin you will find good hostels to a fair price.
A stop in between could be for example Hamburg. Nice music clubs and night life! :)

Berlin to Hamburg and Amsterdam is free by day trains.

Amsterdam to London: think about the ferry Hoek van Holland to Harwich. You can do it even overnight an save a hostel in London. The booking of this ticket with Interrail is possible via their Netherlands website.
Route (have a look at the connections labelled with ferry included): [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail/amsterdam-to-london[/u]
Direct ferry information: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-ferry/hoek-van-holland-harwich/netherlands-united-kingdom/16[/u]

If you cook for yourself, you will save a lot of money. And beer from the supermarket is always cheap. :)

Peter :)

Userpic

FColum
Traveller
1 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thanks a lot for the answers!

Does the ferry ticket need to be booked beforehand to get the interrail discount?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9333 comments

replied 12 years ago

No, you can get it as well at the ferry port, at least it was the case two years ago. :)

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1385 comments

replied 12 years ago

ONLY if there are still spaces available-not likely during Olympics!
Frankyl-forget IR for JUST these trips. Book Ber-Ams online on thes site or on bahn-from 29/39eur 9can do even for less as couple using loal German trains and changing often). Book AMS-LON online on nshispeed.nl-tic from any NL-staop to LON FROM 50 eur-via Brussel and €*