Userpic

fluchti
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hey Guys,
i have a question. Me and my Girlfriend are planning an Interrail(Global Pass) tour in August. We are arriving in Patras,Greece and after a few days of visiting Peloponnese and Athens we would like to get to Montenegro as fast and as cheap as possible.
Due to the cancellation of all international trains from Greece we have a problem. After a few hours of research I found out, that there is a bus from Athens to Nis or Belgrade in Serbia, but with this bus we would have to spend ~7 hours at the train station in Belgrade before the train from Belgrade to Bar starts after arriving at 2 am in the night.
In a blog I read about a train from Skopje, Macedonia to Bar over Nis,Serbia. The problem is, that i could not find any information on that train in the internet. Is there anyone with information?
Another, quite uncomfortable possibility would be, to take the ferry to Bari,Italy and from there we would take the ferry to Bar. Since there is no discount for Interrailers on the ferry from Bari to Bar this option would be to expensive for us.

So after that long story, could someone tell me what is the fastest and cheapest connection from Patras/Athens to Bar or anywhere else in Montenegro?
And how can i get from Athens or Patras to Skopje?

Best greetings from Germany,

Jonas

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hej Jonas,

in Greece, you can currently only get as far as Thessaloniki by train. From there you would have to cover at least the part until Gevgelija in Macedonia by bus since the Greek line to the border at Idomeni is currently not operated by passenger trains.
So, it might be more convenient to just use a bus all the way through to Skopje. From Skopje there are two trains to Beograd, one during the day and another one at night. The through sleeper to Bar via Beograd obviously is suspended as well as the direct summer night train Nis - Beograd - Bar. This means you would have to change in Beograd anyway.

The option with the two ferries seems much too complicated and expensive for me as well...another quite interesting option would be via Albania, although you wouldnt be able to use your InterRail pass there and you would again need to cross borders by bus or taxi. Not the easiest way to go but certainly really interesting.

I'd recommend to have a look for Thessaloniki - Skopje busses and do the rest with your IR ticket. :)

Flo 8)