Userpic

gacp31
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Hello,

I am currently a resident of Germany. I have a global interrail pass. I was wondering if I can take the following route:

Saarbruecken (Germany) - Paris with ICE 9556, which according to the Deutsche Bahn website, it is a non-stop train service. Or do I have to go to Forbach (France) first and start using my interrail ticket from there?

Thanks!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 11 years ago

i think you can take this train without any other surcharges (because it's the last station in Germany for this train) except standard reservation naturally.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Humm...the situation is a bit trickier I think:

The border station is Forbach (Gr), this means your IR ticket is only valid from there and you will need an extra ticket until Forbach (Gr). Plus the regular reservation of course (13€). This should work out, however, there is a separate tariff available for persons travelling with an IR which is not valid in Germany (like you) - you have to check at a DB station which option they sell you. :|

Flo 8)

Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 11 years ago

yes, you have right. i have looked other train.

however, there are trains (also ICE) with the last station in Saarabruecken so then you dont have to buy ticket for the part to the border.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

That does not matter - Forbach (Gr) is the border tariff point on that route!

Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 11 years ago

yes, but there are also routes without stop in Forbach, like ICE 9556, ICE 9554 or ICE 9550 and then he could go to Paris without extra ticket, am i right?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

No, he needs a ticket that is valid at least until Forbach (Gr). This is the border tariff point and not the same as Forbach station. InterRail is valid from Forbach (Gr), thus an extra ticket until Forbach (Gr) that covers the stretch in Germany is neccessary.

Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 11 years ago

ok, thanks! i have not had this kind of problem before so good to know :)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hi.
As I see you are from Ludwigshafen area (I am just some kilometres away), buy a VRN Ticket 24 (EUR 14,50 - www.vrn.de/vrn/tickets/einzelfahrkarten/tageskarten/ticket24/index.html ) and add an Ticketplus Alsace EUR 6 - www.vrn.de/vrn/tickets/einzelfahrkarten/tageskarten/ticket-plus-alsace/index.html ).

Then you travel route could be Ludwigshafen - Neustadt - Winden - Wissembourg - Strasbourg. From Strasbourg you have much more connections to Paris and it is usually cheaper than the EUR 13 for the connection via Saarbrücken.

Gruß aus der Südpfalz, Peter :)

Userpic

gacp31
Traveller
1 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks for the info! But, Wissembourg is located in France. Can´t I start using my ÍnterRail pass there (without having to buy the 6 Euro ticket?)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Yeah, the Ticket 24 is valid until Wissembourg, from where you can use InterRail. :)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 11 years ago

Oh of course like Flow said ... my mistake as I always use the version like I told when going to Strasbourg without Interrail and continue from Strasbourg by point to point ticket. :)
Peter :)