Userpic

tryx335
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Greetings,

I'll be traveling around Europe this summer using Interrail, was wondering since Ukraine isn't included in the global pass, what the cheapest way to get there is. I'm having some trouble finding fares and prices through the internet.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Hetman
Traveller
364 comments

replied 11 years ago

the cheapest option should be go to the Ukraine border and then buy ticket to Kiev. i propose you go to lviv (west of Ukraine) from Poland(exists direct connection with Wroclaw, Krakow, Rzeszow, Przemysl) and then buy ticket in lviv and go to Kiev.

from Warsaw there is one direct train to Kiev or even from Berlin but i dont know the prices.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1340 comments

replied 11 years ago

best is very subjective-always take that second to precise what you mean by it
Of course IR is not valid in UKR-it is in none of the old CCCP countries with their broad gauge. You never ever was able to ''just hop on a train'' there anyway.
BTW- IF you happen to ask this for that football-forget it, too late by now.
As hetman says: INTERn. trains to UKR cost an awful lot more as going over border by foot or bus and then pay locally (tipical nightrides cost about 10€/platskart or 15-20 Kupey=a budget sleeper). There is Only 1 place to cross border: behind Przemysl, convenient at end of PKP-PL trains, then take shuttle/minbus, 2/3 PLN.
Europeans and USA do NOT need special visa etc, UKR is a lot cheaper as Russia, and gives the same often forbidding old-Russky sfere, screeming ladies unable to speak anything but Russk/Urkainska, so its easy to go and cheap to match. Do not expect that Byelorus nor Russia will be same.

Userpic

tryx335
Traveller
1 comments

replied 11 years ago

Thanks, very helpful