Userpic

Kalumi
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hello,

I would like to travel from the netherlands to hungary via belgium, germany and austria, and come back via france.
I see though that i can't buy the eurail 5 bordering countries because it's only valid for non EU-residents... I don't understand why.
The Interail tickets are much more expensive and don't correspond to what i want.

Is there a solution for me to order an Eurail ticket while i'm living in the netherlands?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi.
No. There is no solution. Eurail is not available for European residents.
The historic background of these two tickets is different (Interrail celebrates its 40th anniversary this year).
How long do you want to travel in total?
Peter :)

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 12 years ago

1.it is very, very rare that EU would be cheaper as IR-IF you do the trips in the allotted timespan
2.this also becse for those >26 EU is ONLy available in 1st cl. it is some heritage from the days that USAers thought that only 1st cl. would be decent enough for them-in the 50ies (and honestly, at that time it was true). Thent he cheap students came-and they can go young and in 2nd.
3.the relative advantage of EU is that you can spread the traveldays in a longer period.
BUT; in that cae you can nowadays nearly always take profit of the many advacne booking www-sales-and make a total price even lower as Eu or IR.
BRITrail passes are also ONLY avaialble for those living not in the UK. Ditto for JR-Rail for Japan.