Userpic

luco2577
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 12 years ago

My wife and I, both seniors, will be travelling from Amsterdam to Bruges and then on to Paris in April/May this year. While in Amsterdam 3 days after river cruise, may do same day return train to Maastricht. Also, will be in Paris 2 weeks so may do 2, 3, or 4 individual same day return or overnight return trips in to the French countryside. Would a travel Pass be best for us and, if so, which one?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi!

As Australian citizens you will need EuRail passes, most sense would make a Regional Pass Benelux and France :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/eurail-pass-benelux-france#saver-tab[/u]

I dont know your preferences but think that the 1st class option would pay off better. Price difference is not big but comfort usually is better.
In general, the pass will pay off if you travel longer distances...say if you would only travel around the Paris area it will be worth looking into regular tickets but if you want to go to Nice for example you probably will be better off with a EuRail pass. However remember that you will have to get extra reservations for all long distance trains in France (3€).

Also, I dont recommend to use the Thalys service on the Amsterdam - Bruxelles - Paris route as it as really high extra reservation costs for rail pass travellers. :|
However, this is no big problem as there are frequent alternative journeys possible that avoid the Thalys.

To compare with regular ticket prices please follow this link :arr: [ux]https://rail.shop/omio[/ux]

If you want to support our work here at railcc, please purchase your tickets (be it EuRail or regular tickets) via our partner - prices are the same, but we get a little commission to pay the bills. Thank you. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

luco2577
Traveller
3 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi
Thanks 'flow'.
Would be very happy to buy train tickets from railcc.
Our only certain travel is from Amsterdam to Bruges on 30 April and from Bruges to Paris on 2 May. You say to avoid Thayls - so what other options do you recommend please?
Regards
Denis

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Denis,

to avoid Thalys is really easy on the stretch from Amsterdam to Brugge:

With Thalys: You go to Antwerpen directly (one of Europe's most amazing train stations), and change there to an InterCity train to Gent where you catch the final IC to Brugge; travel time ~3h06
Alternatively you could also stay on Thalys until Bruxelles and change there to Brugge; travel time is the same and you would only have to change trains once, however I would recommend to change at Antwerpen and have a look around at the station :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/antwerp/antwerp-central-railway-station-/l480[/u]

Without Thalys: You go to Antwerpen directly by slower IC train and change there to a direct train to Brugge. Travel time is ~3h56

I just compared ticket prices (2nd class, per person)
A Amsterdam - All Belgian Stations regular ticket with Thalys would be at least 46€ (non refundable) via Antwerpen or 52€ via Bruxelles.
If you would get a Benelux-France EuRail pass with 8 travel days you would need one travel day which would be 41,25€...however if you would go by Thalys you would still need the extra reservation which will be around 25€.

If you want to go with 1st class, there will be a slighter better advantage towards the EuRail pass, especially if you want to stay rather flexible...as the cheapest regular fares usually cannot be exchanged or refunded.

On the Brugge to Paris leg, your options are this:

With Thalys: There is one direct Thalys early in the morning, otherwise you would have to go to Bruxelles by IC and change there to the frequently running Thalys; travel time ~2h37

Without Thalys: You have to go Brugge - Lille (with a change of trains sometimes necessary in Kortrijk as well) and take a TGV from there to Paris; travel time ~2h42

One this route you really do not need Thalys, so in case you go with EuRail, go via Lille and only pay a 3€ reservation for the TGV, with Thalys I'd go both ways depending on where you get a cheaper ticket.

If you need a detailed connection with timings or any other help, just let me know. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

luco2577
Traveller
3 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Flow
You have given us a lot to think about - thanks - but I am sure I will need to get back to you to clarify some of that. In the meantime, if my wife and I bought the 5 day EuRail Pass - Benelux - France for our travel from Amsterdam to Brugge and from Brugge to Paris (2 x 1 day) can we also use the remaining 3 days of the Pass (at no extra cost) for -
1. Return same day travel Amsterdam to Maastricht? (town visit)
2. Return same day travel Paris Montparnasse to St Pierre des Corps? (for Loire Valley tour)
3. Return same day travel Paris Gare Saint Lazare to Vernon?(for visit to Giverny)

If we can do all that, it seems that the Pass could be worthwhile - do you agree?
Does the Pass also give us free travel on RER within Paris?
Cheers
Denis

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi,

these are all rather short journeys, where EuRail wont pay off compared to regular tickets bought some time in advance. For instance,
the Paris - St Pierre de Corps round trip in 2nd class can be bought for 60€ for both of you. However, these tickets have to be bought ~at least one month in advance (this can vary of course) and cannot be refunded - if you change your travel plans the tickets are useless.

Paris - Vernon is just a short trip of an hour, so you will be better of with regular tickets anyway. You can get them via this link :arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en-ticket-offers/sncf-train-tickets-for-france/france/28[/u]

RER is [b]not[/b] covered by EuRail, as well as regional services within the Ile de France. :|

Flo 8)

Userpic

luco2577
Traveller
3 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Flow
Thanks for quick and helpful response
Regards
Denis