Userpic

_tobie_
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hello everybody,

does anybody know if I can travel to Stockholm, Göteborg or Östersund in Sweden with my One Country InterRail Pass for Norway?

Tobi

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Tobi.
NO. An ONE country pass is only for ONE country, like the name says. You would need an other one for Sweden then.
Depends on how long you travel, if you fly to Norway or if you also use trains to reach Norway. Sometimes the Global passes are cheaper.
Peter :)

Userpic

_tobie_
Traveller
2 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Peter!
Thanks a lot for your fast answer. My question arose because I read somewhere that the One Country Pass is valid for trains of the NSB. And there are trains of the NSB railway company to Stockholm, Göteborg and Östersund. So are you really sure that it is not possible?
I’m going to search a little further on this in the internet. Perhaps I’ll find something to answer my question. On the other hand it remains to ask some of the NSB staff in Norway when I’m there.
Tobi

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

I am sure! :)

There are always in international traffic trains of one national company going to an other country.
Example France to Germany: there are TGV trains (French) going from Paris to Frankfurt (Germany). CNL night trains (German) going from Munich (Germany) to Paris (France), or even going from Basel (Switzerland) to Amsterdam (Netherlands) even being a German train.
They can't stop at the border and change the trains.
That's also the case in Norway... :)
Concerning the Interrail ONE Country Pass: it is only valid inside of the borders of the country you purchased it for.

Userpic

_tobie_
Traveller
2 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Peter!
In between I found this :)
xxxxxxxx - had to delete the link for several reasons
On page 11 it says:
[quote]The national railway company of Norway is NSB - Norwegian State Railways ([u]http://www.nsb.no[/u]). A Pass valid in Norway is valid with NSB, and also valid for travel from Oslo to Gøteborg (Sweden) and from Oslo to Stockholm (Sweden) in direct border crossing trains.[/quote]
Tobi :)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi Tobi.
That's absolutely new to me. Okay, then try it. ;)

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 12 years ago

this indeed is/was new. Also; IF so used ONLY in NSB-trains. There may also be some SJ-trains runing there-in that case you can only use the NO pass INside NO.
The reverse now also holds for Sweden passes-you can use them to Oslo, but ONLY in SJ-run trains, Stockholm-Oslo.
For the Brits used to those train companies: in general it does NOT work like that in Europe-it works like the mails, every country runs till the border-for through international trains they have complicated share-agreements and different pricing from/till borderpoints (for normal tickets).

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

The direct cross border trains Oslo - Goteborg/Stockhom are jointly operated by NSB/SJ!

Why such a complicated post?

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 12 years ago

nein-not really so. The trains are either wholly SJ or NSB-and IF you have a 1country post for either-you can use the tikcet the whole way on the train of THAT country. This is so new and confusing if you have been brought up in the old system. Plus that Osl-S'holm is only SJ trains now. Maybe it has to do with SE completely opting out of international ticketing due to its own airline based pricing now.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Oslo - Göteborg is operated by NSB Typ 73 trains; Oslo - Stockholm by SJ IC rakes, however I do not think that these trains are run as open market trains in the relevant neighboring countries.
Even more so as you can use both connections with either a One Country Pass for Sweden or for Norway.

Userpic

Head
Traveller
101 comments

replied 12 years ago

[quote]The trains are either wholly SJ or NSB-and IF you have a 1country post for either-you can use the tikcet the whole way on the train of THAT country. [/quote]
А nice idea, I should say ) they are cool guys there in Scandinavia ) let's implement this system across Europe ) buying a Polish pass and riding all the way from Warszawa to Amsterdam.... )