Userpic

Angelsix
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 20 hours ago

I'm planning a visit to the safer parts of Ukraine, which would start with some train trip from some airport outside of Ukraine to Lviv. As best as I can tell from wandering the Internet, the best route would be to fly to Vienna, stay overnight, take a short bus ride to Bratislava (Slovakia), and take the train from there to Lviv. My travels in Ukraine would probably end up in Kyiv, so I'd then be taking a longer train ride from Kyiv (through Lviv) to Bratislava and then fly home. I'd need to avoid any tight connections because, well, there's a war. Any recommendations (other than "don't go, it's too dangerous") welcome.

Follow this topic
Userpic

argon
Traveller
441 comments

replied 11 hours ago

Why going to Bratislava ? There are Nighttrains of UZ directly from Wien or Budapest to Lviv as well as a nightttain Wien-Lviv-Kyiv . Some departures may require long stops (mostly at Chop around 2h) . You can simply look for connections and tickets at booking.uz.gov.ua/en . Cherres argon :)

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
1077 comments

replied 9 hours ago

None of that makes sense!

Why go to Bratislava when the train starts in Vienna and doesn't go via Bratislava? And why spend the night in Vienna when the bus from the airport to Bratislava runs so frequently? This "wandering around the internet", was it done using Apps recommended by the App Store? Try a proper PC with a proper browser and full fat Google, not the dumbed down version for phones. Ukraine might be too dangerous but I won't tell you not to go, because I don't think you'll make the border. But have you checked visa rules?

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1399 comments

replied 6 hours ago

When the current hostilities had not started, I´ve been to UKR several times, and as @ those times budget-air as not even started to it yet, I´ve done it mostly via Krakow, closest by, interesting city with plenty of cheap-ish Polsih-style accomm. and also good both bus and train (change @border=different gauge) abd as such still now used by the many UKR refugees who go back home sometime for visits (as they told me here).
WIZZair is the ´Ryan´air of East-EUR and has plenty of flites to there-same policy re luggage etc as that dreaded Ryan, but in general much more friendly and easy to handle.
A those times- UKR was competely visa-free for EU-nationals-but that funny island in the North Sea has stepped out of that union-so dk.
Have @ those times even been into Krym/beaches and that now Russky occupied Eastern Donyetsk/Lugansk zone-the latter was utterly uninteresting, even if I may say a little visitor-UNfriendly and an ecological disaster zone-heavy mining and pollution

Userpic

Angelsix
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 hour ago

Thanks!