Userpic

Calipsoka
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 1 month ago

Hello Train Lovers,
I hope this message finds you all well!

I’m reaching out to tap into your expertise and passion for rail travel. I’m planning a trip from the Barcelona to Krakow and would love to hear your suggestions for the most scenic and enjoyable route.

If you have any tips, hidden gems along the way, or must-visit stops, I’d be so grateful for your advice

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1399 comments

replied 1 month ago

Buenas dias from a treno here in NL.
Suugest to first read parts in another very well informed site: set61.com.
Has info on such train routes to/.fro the UK/LON, so you have to combine somewhwre-likely Paris, or perhaps via Swiss.
You probably landed on thsi site by a google hint-but that is since 3-4 yrs now superseeded-the guys who did this site have left. Well-willing others will appear occasionaly.
If you ask like you for gems/hidden etc tell at least what your interests are-otherwise buy/read a guidebook.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
1078 comments

replied 1 month ago

Seat61 will not work for this query, to start with a knowledge of European railway would be need to stitch together parts of various seat61s itineries and anyone with that knowledge would not need to ask this question.

The question cannot be answered based on what was asked. The most scenic route would be very complicated, and probably use buses in part. Enjoyable depends on what is meant by that, people dragging luggage with little experience might not find the scenic route enjoyable. They might prefer the easy route using high speed trains, which is not very scenic unless you come from a desert or the prairies. We nned to know how much time is available, whether budget is an issue, how fit/old the person is.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
642 comments

replied 1 month ago

There is an electronic timetable for almost whole Europe at www.bahn.com. Seat 61 gives a lot of interesting information about trains in all countries, but no timetables. If time itself is not an issue, but scenery is, I would defenitly go over Tirano (IT/CH border) – Samedan-Chur. You are going over de Bernina pass (2200 m. above sea).