Userpic

litherlandjm
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 2 months ago

Hello,
I am buiding a picture of my next adventure ( I am a Gap Granny!) which is going to be to visit The Sami Lands. I was hoping that maybe some-one could give me any ideas/help/ advice/etc about doing this , thank you

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
1078 comments

replied 2 months ago

A railway forum was not a good place to start. That area is barely touched by railways and you will need to find another form of transport. The railways that do get close don't connect with each other so are of little use. Have you looked for organised bus tours? If you need a loing conenction from an international airport to the southern edge of the area the trains in Finland ( www.vr.fi ) are easier to deal with than Sweden - the short stretch in Norway towards Narvik is effectively part of the Swedish network. My only advice would be take plenty of money and stay away from the Russian border.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
642 comments

replied 2 months ago

There is only one train line in Samiland between Narvik and Kiruna with at the moment 2 trains in 24 hours, from which one at night, and with bus replacement inbetween.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1399 comments

replied 2 months ago

As Steve above also explains, Qs like this are better done at a general touristy forum like tripadvisor. Read first-many of the broad general Qs have been psted+answered multiple times in the past and things do not change that much in a year.
Bring plenty of money-Scandinavia is after Swiss the most expensive area in EUR/ And oh yes-also be prepared to be a little disappointed- the Laps/Sami are for 99,98% also new generation and quite modern people. But in season there wil also be some touristy oriented ´museal exhibtions-like villages etc.