Userpic

eletfa
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 month ago

Hello, we would like to travel from Budapest to Athens, Greece, start the journey on September 21. Anyone have any ideas?
I tried to search on the Budapest-Beograde-Sofia-Thessaloniki line, or Budapest-Beograde-Skopje-Thessaloniki, but not much success.
It also occurred to me that maybe Budapest-Austria-Bari, Italy and from there by ferry to Patras and then to Athens?
Does anyone have experience with these routes? I'm completely lost...

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
1058 comments

replied 1 month ago

Thank you, you've already done more research than most who ask questions about this problem. There have been no international train to Greece since before covid and no sign iof when or if they will resume, any via Beograd is very unlikely because there are big problems in Serbia as well so if the Greek side suddenly opened the route would be Budapest-Bucaresti-Sofia-Thessaloniki.

The ferry from Bari is a long standing route from Western Europe to Greece and is even part of the Interrail network so if you are planning to use a pass it makes sense (but check what extra charges there are, like seats or cabins). But if you are paying for ordinary tickets the long italian section may be more expensive than going via Bucaresti to Sofia and then getting an express bus. There is a choice and most go to Athens so you avoid the erratic service on the Greek railways. They can be booked online, just google sofia athens bus but don't jump straight to Omio or Rome2Rio which are both third party booking bots. Try Flixbus to start with, who are a real operator and if that doesn't work out go through the other sites to find the other real operators .

Userpic

eletfa
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 month ago

Tnak you so much for your helpful answer! :)

Userpic

yogimax
Traveller
61 comments

replied 1 month ago

You can book this bus from Sofia to Athens. Arda Tur is real operator. It cost 27 Euro. https://ardatur.bg/search/1/105/2024-08-07//1/