Userpic

OlympiaC
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 1 month ago

Hello everyone,

I‘d like to know if it is generally a problem to take a dog with you in the trains. I want to travel from Germany to Crete, Greece.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
1058 comments

replied 1 month ago

In most cases you can take a dog (often not in night trains) but it either needs a ticket (usually half fare) or sometimes has to be small enough to be carried in something that meets the luggage rules. But there are no international trains to Greece even for humans. So you'd need a long distance bus and that's a whole new problem. As are the ferries.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1386 comments

replied 1 month ago

In general yes, but this varies and is set per country. As a very broad rule: the further south in EUR, the more stringent the rules: muzzles, only in special cars or the like. Same-same for ticketing. Some of these rules offend dog-loving people so much that they start out crying loud.
There have been quite a few same-same questions posted lately and I have never seen (but kind of suspect there by now should be such one) general site about how to travel/what to think of with your pet-doggie. Not even for guide-dogs for the blind (that often are more leniently treated)