Userpic

Anais03
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 3 months ago

Dear Team of Interrail,

I want to take the ticket four travel days in one month but have and end up in a foreign country. So I've been wondering if the one inbound and one outbound trip is possible to be taken independently of the other trips. In other words, whether I can take the return trip to my home country but still take a foreign travel day afterwards.

Thank you very much!
Anais

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
1073 comments

replied 3 months ago

We are not Interrail - nothing we suggest is official.

The outbound and inbound travel is supposed to be from home to border/airport/Eurostar terminal by a reasonably direct route. It is not for unlimited touring like the other countries.

Theoretically your plan could be possible but here are some problems. Firstly the inbound and outbounds are not additional, they must happen within the paid days travel (in this case 4). Second, you would presumably want to travel outbound to somewhere in a different country within the first day and return home on the second or third, but to then leave your country again you would have to buy a ticket to the border - your outbound allowance has already been used. There may also be problems with the mobile pass which has been known to block travel after the inbound has been used.

Userpic

Anais03
Traveller
1 comments

replied 3 months ago

Okay thanks! It helps me a lot!!!

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
639 comments

replied 3 months ago

The rules are changed lately. I saw 3 outbound/inbound days in my app. Turns out that this is because a lot of people are living far from their border, that it is not possible to reach it in 1 day. The app allows now to travel 3 days in your own country (looks like a compromise, because someone like that needs 4), but you may only twice cross the border.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
1073 comments

replied 3 months ago

That's really a correction to the software because the rule was supposed to based on direct trips to and from the border (one of each) not days. There has also been the longstanding problem affecting especially Germans who had to choose between a tour going north or one going south because to do north and south (or east and west) often involved crossing Germany in the middle (so requires one outbound, one transit and one inbound).

But it doesn't alter the question of returning home part way through validity and restarting the tour later.