Userpic

Emeric
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 2 months ago

Hi all!
I hope you are doing well :)
I am starting a new life in Tromso and I have booked my train tickets from Brussels to Tromso (day train: Bru-Hamb, night train: Hamb-Stock, night train: Stock-Narvik). I have 2 questions about it:

1) As I have decided to take the train, I would like to know how strict they are about luggages. I mean, I have read their policy about it, but I would like to know if it is highly discouraged to break the rules (a little). I plan to take a backpack (90-100 cm high I think) + a small suitcase (should not be higher than 60-80 cm). For your information, I have a bed in a 3-bed cabin (sleeper) for both night trains. Will the inspectors check that people are not breaking the rules? Especially before boarding the train?

2) I plan to go back to Belgium twice a year to see my family, so I would like to know if you think it is better to take the Interrail pass. I paid a total of 335 euros for the three trains on each company's website. I know that the lowest price for Interrail is 212 euros, but I was wondering how much it could go up if I take two sleepers like I did now.

Thank you very much for your time and answers!

Best,

Emeric

Follow this topic
Userpic

argon
Traveller
423 comments

replied 2 months ago

Yes offically they have rules for luggage nobody cares , the problems will be that both Sleepercabins wont be really roomy (also compared to other Nighttrains) , but what is even more critical is that you will share it with two other people with may also have medium/large sized luggage (Both trains are very popular with Interrailers and Holiday-makers) . I made a German Blog about this Nighttrain (EN 346 Hamburg-Stockholm) here at Raildude with detailed Photos : https://raildude.com/blog/view?id=496 . Btw. the cabins of the Arctic Circle Sleepertrain have a bit more space for luggage . And as far as I know both Cabins wont have large overhead-luggage racks like on some other Nighttrains .

And Interrail is not very suitable for this route because such short trips with only a few trains wont pay out ! Also in Sleeper at those two Nighttrains you dont get a that high discount , as the biggest part of the Ticket price is Reservation fee , which is not included in Interrail .

And a general advice (especially for those two Nighttrains) : Always book as far in advance as you can (5-6 months ahead) , both trains are super popular (There are among the most popular in the World (At least in my opinion)) , and can be therefore sold out within just a few days after they release the Tickets .

Good luck with your new life !

Cherres argon :)

Userpic

argon
Traveller
423 comments

replied 2 months ago

Here are the official Terms of Luggage by SJ : https://www.sj.se/en/about-sj/terms-and-conditions/luggage-rules

Userpic

Emeric
Traveller
1 comments

replied 2 months ago

Thanks a lot Argon!!