Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hey guys,

I find myself with a slight predicament... I've been travelling around Europe with an interrail ticket and so far (with a nice helping hand from railcc) everything has gone glitch free. However, I'm currently staying with my family near Ancona in Eastern Italy and hope to be here until at least Friday 12th August. BUT, I'm meeting up with friends in Berlin, Germany for Saturday (13th) night to continue our jaunt around Europe. Does anyone have any ideas on how this journey could be made in as little time as possible without me resorting to air travel as an easy get out..? A sleeper train would probably be ideal if I were to leave on friday to save me having to find a place to stay and losing 12 hours or so of travelling... I'm also willing to pay supplements for fast trains if need be but, as I'm sure many of you can relate to, travelling round Europe is not the cheapest thing to do so I wouldn't want to spend more that 50-60 euros on train travel after already dishing out a tidy sum on the interrail ticket!

tl;dr I need to get from Ancona on Friday 12th Aug to Berlin on saturday (13th) night by train

Thanks in advance!
Danny

Follow this topic
Userpic

openscript
Traveller
26 comments

replied 12 years ago

I've two ideas for you:

[quote]
[b]Ancona[/b]
dep 09:07 (IC 9810 | 10€ reservation)
[b]Milano Centrale[/b]
arr 13:25
dep 15:10 (EC 20 | 10€ reservation)
[b]Zurich HB[/b]
arr 18:51
dep 19:42 (CNL 1259 | min. 9€ reservation)
[b]Berlin HBF[/b]
arr 07:20
[/quote]
or
[quote]
[b]Ancona[/b]
dep 19:27 (IC 9830 | 10€ reservation)
[b]Bologna Centrale[/b]
arr 21:14
dep 23:05 (CNL 484 | min. 9€ reseravtion)
[b]München Hbf[/b]
arr 06:30
dep 07:10 (ICE 1512)
[b]Berlin Hbf (Tief)[/b]
arr 13:08
[/quote]

I haven't found a connection for this time slot without supplements.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi,

well I would vote for the second option. It is more safe regarding connections (the Milano - Zürich sevice is not very reliable at the moment) and you can also leave Ancona later on Friday. If you want to avoid the 10€ reservation for the IC 9830 (which is a ES City or Frecciabianca train) you will surely find a connection with regional trains that take a little longer but are free of supplements.
You cannot avoid a night train, both a City Night Line trains which are quite comfortable and still reasonably priced. If you want to sleep well I'd recommend a 6bed sleeper though which is 25€. Regular seats (9€) are not so comfortable on the CNL Bologna - München, more comfortable are the reclining seats (15€) on the Zürich - Berlin train.

Flo 8)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 12 years ago

That's some stunning responses guys, can't thank you enough!

Think I'll give the second option a go... Can seat reservations be made online or over the phone?

Danny