Userpic

Euricoteles
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 month ago

Hello everyone, I'm planning my first interrail.

Departing from Porto to Kiruna.

The dates I plan to do will be in November.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make this trip at this time?

What tips and recommendations can you give?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
1041 comments

replied 1 month ago

Trains to Kiruna are not predictable, at present they are not confirmed until 10-14 days before they run. The railway exists to move iron ore, not people, and has been wrecked by two crashes in short time. When they fix it the priority will be to move the ore because millions of euros a week are being lost. This is a really bad idea for a first timer, especially from Porto because even reaching France is a problem thanks to RENFE reservation rules.

Userpic

Euricoteles
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 month ago

Thanks for the tip and reply. I am already in contact with CP and RENFE. The next step is to talk to the companies that make the trip to Kiruna or Narvik. There is always a solution! Even though it's the first time, I get there! My people went for the first time from Lisbon to India by boat and there was no internet at the time!

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
624 comments

replied 1 month ago

Watch www.bahn.com with Porto to Kiruna. You get an impression what you are waiting for. And bear in mind you will have a lot of trouble by making seat reservations with Interrail. The costs will be more than only that ticket.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
1041 comments

replied 1 month ago

Do not assume that Kiruna trains shown on any website will actually run (94 is very unpredictable).

What do you mean you will talk (or email) to operators? Most have no time and you can only book online.