Userpic

micheljaimez
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 1 month ago

I want a plan to travel by train between the following cities; Berlin, Warsaw, Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn, Helsinki, northern Finland, cross into Sweden, go down to Stockholm, from there to Copenhagen and finish in Berlin. I want to travel during the day and spend two days in each capital. Could you tell me which trains should I take

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
624 comments

replied 1 month ago

I only have experience with the stretch from Tallinn. Between Tallinn and Helsinki there are no trains, but ferries (www.directferries.com). From Helsinki to the north (Oulu or Kemi) see www.vr.fi. There are no trains across the border to Sweden above the Baltic see, but buses www.matkahuolto.fi to Haparanda Travel Center. From there a short walk to the station of Haparanda (2 km). The possibilities between Haparanda station and Berlin can be seen on www.bahn.com.

Userpic

argon
Traveller
411 comments

replied 1 month ago

Tickets and Timetables for Germany bahn.de , for Poland (ebilet.)intercity.pl/en , for Lithuania ltglink.lt , for Latvia vivi.lv/en , for Estonia elron.ee/en , for Finland vr.fi/en , for Sweden sj.se/en and for Denmark dsb.dk/en . And btw. I dont recomment to only use only day trains between Helsinki and Stockholm . A short cut between Helsinki and Stockholm is to take the Nightferry (en.tallink.com) instead of making this 2.000 km detour !

Userpic

micheljaimez
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 month ago

Thank you very much for your quick response but could you tell me why you don't recommend taking trains during the day between Helsinki and Stockholm?
My other question is the following, since I want to spend two days in each city, I was thinking about buying the ticket for the next trip as soon as I arrive, will it be enough in advance or do you recommend bringing everything in advance?
and thanks you very much

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
624 comments

replied 1 month ago

If your time is flexible buying tickets on the spot is preferred. It spares rebooking in case of delays. If the purpose is train travel on itself I should prefer the 2000km detour, at daylight.

Userpic

micheljaimez
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 month ago

thanks arent7

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
624 comments

replied 1 month ago

Actually my advise is around the Botnic Gulf, not the baltic sea.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1377 comments

replied 1 month ago

much more and better info on seat61.com. Even with pictures etc.
Buying tix over there on the spot for FI and SE is gonna cost an awful lot. IF you also go to there and come back by assumed so environmental friendly on the rails, check what passes may suit you, like InterRail. And all long-dist/IC trains there are with obligatory REServ, and these overnite trains do sell out a few days before in high-demand summertime. There are very few or even none daytime trains for these long sectors and -having been there also long time ago, I must add the landscape is pretty boring after the first allthesame few 100 KMs.
As for NOW there is a GAP in the trains on the FI/SE border there up north-though there are definite plans to re-install an odd small train next year. Has also to do with the broad/Russky FI and normal SE gauge for the tracks. The gap was even much onger till last yr in SE=Sweden.

Userpic

micheljaimez
Traveller
3 comments

replied 1 month ago

Thanks everybody for answering me, I take note of all your advise, thanks. seat61 is a wonderful discover