Userpic

Sabeth
Traveller
6 comments

Posted 1 month ago

Does anyone know anything about public transport in Portugal ?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 1 month ago

trains are run by CP www.cp.pt (not Lisboa or Porto metro or trams). They are fairly cheap and reliable but long distance routes are not frequent and may not be as fast as expected by visitors from the rest of western europe. AP and IC trains need reservations. The cross river commuter service in Lisboa is a seperate company call Fertagus but uses the same tracks and stations as CP.

Buses/trams and metro in Lisboa, Porto and I think Coimbra are local council run and OK. Otherwise local buses are hit and miss, run by various companies, few very good, Algarve is especially poor considering how many tourists need them. Long distance buses are good and fairly organised, main operators are rede-expresso, alsa, flixbus

Userpic

Sabeth
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 month ago

Thanks a lot for the information. Is there any special price and where can I buy the tickets?

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
592 comments

replied 1 month ago

special price is not necessary. It is pretty cheap on it's own. Tickets at www.cp.pt. At the right upper,corner you see EN for an English version.

Userpic

Sabeth
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 month ago

Thanks for the information.
Do I pay in the train or do I have to buy a ticket in advance? Or where else ?

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 1 month ago

have you ever travelled by train before? Where were you thinking of traveling from/to?

Userpic

Sabeth
Traveller
6 comments

replied 1 month ago

I was to Portugal several times and made round trips by car. I think I am going to start from Faro to Porto or the other way round.
In Germany you always need a valid ticket before you get on to the train .

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 1 month ago

For the AP and IC trains you need a reservation as well as a ticket so you will have to buy in advance, there are 2 direct AP trains per day from Faro to Porto but more options by connecting at Lisboa Oriente.

https://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/timetables/oporto-lisbon-faro-lagos-v.r.s.antonio-trains.pdf

https://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/timetables/lisbon-north-south-trains.pdf

Userpic

Sabeth
Traveller
6 comments

replied 4 weeks ago

Thank you ☺️

Userpic

Sabeth
Traveller
6 comments

replied 4 weeks ago

Is there a for example 1-14 days travelcard in Portugal . For all trains or Regiotrains , busses etc.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 4 weeks ago

Not really, Lisbon bundles most (not all) local transport in the visitors card but that also means paying for the museums etc. There used to be a Carris trasnport pass but that seems to have gone, and Lisbon passes and discounts have to be loaded onto a chip card which you have to buy first.

the CP website has details of local rail only passes for Lisbon, Porto and Algarve.

Userpic

Sabeth
Traveller
6 comments

replied 4 weeks ago

Ok, thank you ☺️