Userpic

sdf
Traveller
7 comments

Posted 1 month ago

Originally, my plan was to do point-to-point bookings in Spain and use a Eurail Pass for Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc. However, the recent spring Eurail sale made it attractive to purchase a longer duration pass and extend my travels.

Curious if once I get to Spain, I can refund the rail ticket portion of my booking (keeping the seat reservations).

I booked multiple discounted ELIGE CONFORT seats which will provide a 70% refund of my original booking if cancelled.

Given that the trains I'm interested in taking are heavily booked - I would not want to jeopardize the seat reservation and I suspect that RENFE would make the cancellation and refund process challenging.

I've noted an advisory on the Eurail community site that advance reservations for pass holders can only be made by calling RENFE 3 days in advance or by going to a train station to book in person.

https://community.eurail.com/eurail-interrail-passes-41/seat-reservations-in-spain-2731

Given the load factors (sold-out) on my desired trains, I suspect that I should not try to use my pass and jeopardize my seat reservations... but money is money :-)

Thanks for your insight and suggestions.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
912 comments

replied 1 month ago

Stick with the original plan!