Userpic

WILFRED
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 1 month ago

Need info regarding travel from Oslo to Alicante by train. Where to buy tickets, cost, departures/arrivals, details of stations passed, how many train changes etc.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 1 month ago

terrible idea! Just getting out of Norway is difficult with few trains going south. Fastest journey is almost FIFTY ONE hours. It involves 9 trains plus the inevitable bus from Halden to Göteborg. Through ticketing is impossible but assume the total fare will be way more than a flight. At least one night will be in a hotel, which also bumps up cost.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
592 comments

replied 1 month ago

But if you still want to go through with this: Start with taking a look at an electronic European timetable at www.bahn.com. Do not ask Oslo to Alicante at once but divide in at least in two stages with a German city somewhere in the middle (Frankfurt(M) or Hamburg). Than you have an impression of the possibilities.
You can buy tickets at the (national) train companies involved, respectivily www.vy.no, www.sj.se, www.dsb.dk, www.bahn.de, www.sncf.fr, www.renfe.es. At some sites you can also use .com instead the national extension. There are also commercial ticketsites such as www.trainline.com or www.omio.com, www.raileurope.com. But I doubt one of these can cope with this in one take.

Userpic

traiveller
Traveller
28 comments

replied 1 month ago

Hello, do you want to travel with a Interrail-ticket? You would be more flexible...

Userpic

argon
Traveller
351 comments

replied 1 month ago

sncf.fr is just for timetables , sncf-connect.com/en-en/ is for booking ...

Userpic

argon
Traveller
351 comments

replied 1 month ago

I think this could be a good connection ...

Attachment Image
Userpic

argon
Traveller
351 comments

replied 1 month ago

@MisterSteve Why do you asume that it takes 51h to got out of Norway ? The slowest train from Oslo to Stockholm takes 5:21h ...

Userpic

WILFRED
Traveller
1 comments

replied 1 month ago

Thank you all for your contributions. In particular Argon for his proposal which sounds interesting. Is the train from Stockholm a sleeping car train?
If you have more details I am very interested. :)

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
592 comments

replied 1 month ago

Beware Interrail has limitations at French and Spanish high-speeds and EN 345 has beds indeed.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 1 month ago

Argon, I didn't say it took 51 hours to get out of Norway, I said getting out of Norway was slow. Then I said the fastest journey (for what was asked) takes 51 hours, which even with the bus ride over the border is about 11 hours faster than the routing via Stockholm. And as Arend points out, Interrail gets difficult in France and Spain.

Userpic

argon
Traveller
351 comments

replied 1 month ago

My mistake , sorry :) Yes the route via Göteborg is faster but its much more complicated , but if i would make the trip i would clearly make the detour via Stockholm because i think it should be more relaxing and easier to book (online) . Speaking of detail i would split the ticket into the following parts (from my timetable or a similar one ) Oslo - Stk - Hamburg -> sj.se/en , Hamburg - Karlsruhe - Paris -> bahn.de/en , Paris - Barcelona - Alicante -> sncf-connect.com/en-en/ .

Userpic

argon
Traveller
351 comments

replied 1 month ago

For a more concrete travel plan i/we would need your travel date ....