Userpic

thomasd1994
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 3 months ago

Hi,

I'm just getting in touch as I'm trying to plan a journey from Zurich to Amsterdam, and I wanted to double check if trains are in service on the 1st or 2nd of September for a single journey for 2 adults?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
912 comments

replied 3 months ago

they should be, it's a daily service although things can go wrong - the line fell through into a collapsed tunnel a few years ago and they lost months of direct trains!

The night train should (they say) be available from booking 180 days in advance but this isn't always true. The train is NJ402 bookable at www.nightjet.com - well at least some of it is! This is an odd train because although it has seats they aren't part of NJ402 for booking purposes and are technically operated by DB as IC60402 and bookable at www.bahn.com

There is no direct daytime train but several options with one change of train in Germany, although there is an afternoon option where you can change at Basel and then go direct to Amsterdam. use www.bahn.com The train from Zurich to Cologne at 10:59 (EC8) is not the fastest but conveys a Panorama car with huge wrap over windows as part of the first class section, this is car 263 and you may need the select seats option to find it as it isn't normally offered as a default car. This is an excellent way to travel https://youtu.be/1hIrCS8BmP0?si=spH02bLtJG0ejdsI

Be aware that journey planners may offer a fast option via Paris, this does save time but you have to change STATIONS in Paris.