Userpic

LaPo2024
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 4 months ago

How do we purchase tickets with a senior citizen discount?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
913 comments

replied 4 months ago

Unlike some countries, no discount card is needed, you just have to be over 65 and have an official ID card or passport showing date of birth. This is needed when you travel. Have you tried going through the online booking process on www.cp.pt? I'm not going to set up an account for myself but I assume there is a box to click at some point to apply the discount.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 4 months ago

Acoording to https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/discounts-benefits/Discounts/gold-card you have to get a Gold Card and not earn above minimum wage.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 4 months ago

And if you have that card you can at booking under point 3 "options" scroll under "discounts" to "senior citizen".

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
913 comments

replied 4 months ago

that isn't for "senior citizens" - it's for younger people already retired. For over 65 it's much simpler https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/discounts-benefits/Discounts/senior-citizens

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 4 months ago

Good to know (it will save me money at my next trip). This is about my first reply. The second (at booking "3 options/discounts/senior citizen ) still holds.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1340 comments

replied 4 months ago

And, as anyone seems to be convinced tickets can only be done via that smartefone etc: nonsense. The big majority is still sold by human beings, as workers for the comboios=railways at a ticket window. Just show ID and its its set.
A quite well known source as dr. google led into the in /en/ very clear explanation in the usual milliseconds. And that info from CP also told the discount is 25% for the INTern. CELta trains= Porto up north to ESpana.
And now that I mention ESpana: RENFE sells a yearly senior discount ticket for about 6€, giving most trains 40% OFF full price (not off discount promocion precios). It is simply a cardboard stub of a normal ticket with your name on it. Does not get automatic renewed or whatever to keep track of-and its from 60 (unless that has now also gone up since my last one some time ago). This as these 2 countries are so close and many combine by tren-even if the connexiones are not great between them.
There was once an overveiw of what railways gave what discounts for seniors under what conditions- but its by now rather old. Iĺl see if I can delve that up and post again. Most likely source is again somewhere on seat61. As I also mentioned for ESpana: IF they once had lower senior entry age of 60, this has likely gone up-as does in general the age you can start to enjoy pension etc.
Best buy for EU-citizens only remains HUngary with free travel for the base price for those from 65-supplmts for RES/fast/express etc still have to be paid in full. For ANYone from 65 LOCAL citytransport is free in most CZech and PoLish cities, trams/metro/bus, but trains mostly excluded from that.
A very few countries give an automatic 50 of 40% discount based on ID only-PT is one of those few. In PoLand its mostly 33% off, but this varies for any of their multitude of local traincompanies.