Userpic

Calle
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 4 months ago

Next autumn I need to go to a destination close to Cannes, France.
I don't want to fly, so I need to know how I get there by train from Copenhagen.
Calle

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 4 months ago

I think if I was in your situation I would start with dividing the trip in Copenhagen-Paris and Paris-Cannes, because you have propably to change stations as well as trains there (Paris has no central station). For Copenhagen-Paris I should watch www.bahn.com and/or https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en/ticket/timetable. For Paris-Cannes https://www.sncf.com/en.
And make plans B in case of delays. I rarely make these kind of trips without at least one delay of more than an hour. (Especially in DK).

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
912 comments

replied 4 months ago

Before you spend a lot of time working on this, tell me you're not one of these people who decided to give up flying and think that because the train will take 10 times longer it will be somehow much cheaper. Because in this case it's likely to take 15 times longer and be much more expensive.

There is a problem which has been hitting long journeys like this for several years (and I won't bet that it is fixed next year) - the French and German reservation systems are conflicting and cross border trains with reservation requirements can be extremely difficult to book. To save yourself stress try a routing that avoids those trains on that border. It is possible to go to Brussels (stay overnight) and then direct train to Marseilles with local connection to Cannes. Or, my choice, leave Copenhagemn mid afternoon to Hamburg, 2 hour wait (should be enough for the delays currently hitting the route) then Night train to Offenburg. This has seats operated by DB and sleeping cars/couchettes by Nightjet. Local cross border connection (no reservation hassle) to Strasbourg in time for breakfast. If you travel in seats DB will probably offer a cheap option to the current 220€ full price if you wait until spring - use bahn.com. There is an early afternoon train from Strasbourg direct to Cannes arriving around 22:00. Since this doesn't cross the german border it ought to be easy to book early at sncf-connect.com This gives about 5 hours in Strasbourg which should cover any possible delays in the night. Any cheap rail tickets will come with cheap airline style conditions so you need to plan to avoid the risk of missed connection between sections on different tickets.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 4 months ago

IF you even also want to return by train/tog and in 1 month after arr, then an INterRail ticket is by far the best buy. Every now&then there are also even discounts-last one was black friday with 25% off. BUT then you also need to do the needed REServations all by yourself-DSB will not be of much help for that, the forum community.eurail has all the info so does the excellent site seat61.com
With that ticket you could even -with some smart planning, make part of the trip nice sight-see, like via the Swiss and ITaly.
Ages ago-when I still went to lyceum, you could walk into many larger stations, wait, wait, and finally state what you wanted and some lady who had studies for 3-4 monthes just for that would take a kind of booklet and start to WRITE tickets in duplo for such distance-if really wanted even into Turkey and Iran. You simply took your chances on the way if trains were full -or not-so that you would stand and not sit. That is history from very long ago and these smart AI computers simply have not yet found a way to replace all that-whereas banks, for your kroner, have found it. Both for the toget and for the kroner the offices have gone-plus who would want to do that work now?, but 1 did and the other did not find a way out in IT

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 4 months ago

+ this: it is WAAAAAAY too early now to book those trains-think of 2, maybe 3 monthes before travel. Trains are not planes where you can do that 11 monthes ahead-or some even more. But you can get a global idea of time taken, how often services run etc via the planning websites-that of bahn.de is generally thought of as being best. Use a same day of week for in jan/febr. -times will not be much different by then.