Userpic

Train123
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 4 months ago

Hello, getting the 10:56am train out of Strasbourg to Munich on the 7th of December. It stops in Mannheim at 12:18 and there is a change of train. The next train leaves at 12:30. That is 12 minutes to get to the second train. Does anyone know at what platform it arrives and what platform second train leaves out of? Does anyone know if there are stairs to take? How many stairs? We have luggage and it’s hard for us with the stairs. We aren’t very experienced with trains, but have done it several times. All times have a 9 to 12 minutes to get to the second train. We have no other alternative. Whatever information, guidance you can give I will appreciate. Trying to plan ahead so it can be as smooth as possible. Thank you so much.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 4 months ago

Take a look at www.bahn.com. There you see the platformnumbers. Than you also see an opportunity to go to Karlsruhe instead and change there to a train to Munich at the opposite site of the platform (8 and 7). And it arrives 15 minutes before the train from Mannheim in Munich (change there from platform 3 to 8.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 4 months ago

Sorry, that trip is cancelled. Because of snow problems I presume.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 4 months ago

You can see a map of mannheim station at https://www.bahnhof.de/downloads/station-plans/3925.pdf.

Userpic

Train123
Traveller
1 comments

replied 4 months ago

Thank you so much. I went ahead and bought the tickets. On the ticket it said arrives track 3 in Manheim and leaves in 12 minutes out of track 8. I see the map, thanks. Do you know if from track 3 we can walk to track 8 without the need to take stairs? It doesn’t look like a long distance. Thanks again. Please let me know about the stairs if you can.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 4 months ago

Try https://www.bahnhof.de/en/mannheim-hbf/elevator. And search "mannheim bahnhof" at youtube.com.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
913 comments

replied 4 months ago

when you bought the tiket did you use bahn.com? And did you notice the warning in the bright coloured box that said

"Onset of winter

Rail traffic in southern Germany is expected to be severely affected until Wednesday evening. Massive restrictions are still to be expected in the greater Munich area."

The chances of any long journey with DB running punctually hasn't been good for a couple of years and this week there is next to no chance. Today the connecting train was 10 minutes late at the first stop (17 minutes into the journey), got later as it went, missed out a stop at Fulda for a different reason and is still predicted to be at least 20 minutes late at Mannheim - which means the platform could alter - and at that point still hasnlt reached the snow chaos.

You have to be prepared for a delay and plan accordingly.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 4 months ago

DB says until wednesday. december 7th is on thursday, but don't keep your hopes high.

Userpic

argon
Traveller
350 comments

replied 4 months ago

An other alternative would be to take route via Offenburg and Mannheim . With connection you would avoid ICE/TGV for border-crossing (Additional Reservation are nearly impossible to book ... ) , instead you would take regional-train (RB 25) to Offenburg and from there with ICE via Mannheim , so this route doesnt require any other Reservations ! Btw. in case of cancellation you can take all trains to reach you destination !

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
913 comments

replied 4 months ago

for the record, the TGV from Strasbourg was on time. But the onward ICE was around 20 late at Mannheim and 37 late at Munich!