Userpic

m-helen15
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 4 months ago

I am planning a trip to Abisko, and I would really appreciate any help for the following:

• I will be landing at Arlanda Airport. Is it possible to board the train from Arlanda Central Station or is boarding exclusively from Stockholm Central Station required?
• I discovered that I can purchase tickets from both https://www.vy.se/ and https://www.sj.se/en. Is this correct?
• How much sooner do you think I should book my tickets?
• Do you know if there is a website to view the train's entire route and stops?

Thank you in advance for your valuable help

Follow this topic
Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1340 comments

replied 4 months ago

Yes can do-the only 1/day overnight train to Narvik also stops there. As any quick google search for train times would also show. I kind of recall that a special airport fee has also to be paid to enter that station-dk details for now. Trains also makes many more stops (nearly 20 in total)-and you can use any to get on/off. Trains are not planes!
SJ= Statens Järnvägar= state railway, was once the only state-owned sweden railway. They have started to put several lines into contracting out.
VY, former NSB= Norsk Stats Baner, has won the contract for this route. In theory you can thus use both sites to book, but when checking VY showed ´not available´ for all trips I tried in dec.
You did not state for when-book asap as it opens-mostly 3 , maybe 2 month advance for best choice. People from out of EUR often think trains are sold out 6 monthes ahead, which is total nonsense-bookings have not opened then. Plus I guess you will after stay also go onward or come back?
Best site that works for nearly all of EUR is bahn.de, german railways (once also state DB)-dr google will surely help with maps& all that. Basically there is just 1 ´major´ railline In SE going north.

Userpic

m-helen15
Traveller
1 comments

replied 4 months ago

Thank you, nltrainer, for your quick response and all these details! On the VY website, I read that it's recommended to book no more than 60 days in advance. Anyway, I wasn't planning to book the tickets now since I will visit in March. Instead, I am currently trying to organize my trip and plan for activities that I would like to participate in during my stay. Since I'll be traveling solo, I believe it's important to be well-prepared.
I had no idea about the bahn.de website. I will certainly check it out.

Thank you again for all the helpful info!

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
913 comments

replied 4 months ago

I don't think bahn.de will sell tickets fot this train, certainly not early booking discount tickets. Vy (of Norway) are the operator of the train by SJ (of Sweden) will sell tickets as well.