Userpic

accul23
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 5 months ago

Hello!
I was looking for a (very) cheap way to travel to inland France (Lyon, Valence, Grenoble or other options including on the Atlantic coast) as a group of 16 from Barcelona through options such as HSR, however I cannot find many. It seems that as soon as you cross the boarder the prices shoot up and all the options via northern Spain take 10h+. I just cannot find any options and may have to resort to plane travel in order to travel northbound (please keep in mind that our budget is super low).

Anybody got any Ideas?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
912 comments

replied 5 months ago

How old are you? Have you tried the group travel page on the SNCF website?

Userpic

accul23
Traveller
1 comments

replied 5 months ago

6 adults and 7 children (under 13) as well as 3 teenagers

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 5 months ago

AV=alta velocidad does NOT come cheap.
If mas barata=more cheap is the main goal, then it can be done via the old-style normal trains;
Your own RENFE rodalies till border=Port Bou/Cerbere, as I assume Espanol can themselves find best solution for that.
The region In FR, occitanie (the country where they say oc and not si/oui/yes), has very cheap 2/3/4/5 day passes, again ONLY for the slower local trenes, called TER there @ 10€ for 1 day (so 4 cost 40), can ONLY be ordered, 1 by 1, via www. However, Grenoble and Lyon are beyond the range-farthest out is Avignon. But why the heck go that far in such short time? if main aim is to ´experience´ the tipical french haughtiness/culture, then you can go anywhere.
Most often the best/cheap solution for groups like yours is to hire a touringbus, there are also smaller ones, for the whole duration. Plus that the company then knows all about it and can also arrange more tipical scholar-like-that visits.