Userpic

richardabroad
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 5 months ago

I am considering travelling by train from London to Bangkok in 2024. The route suggested by rail.cc includes going via Russia but the UK government advice is to not travel to Russia at this time. What route is best to take that avoids Rusdia?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
912 comments

replied 5 months ago

Fly

Not only is it government advice not to travel via Russia there are no trains crossing the borders from Europe.

The idea is not just something that would be long enough for a TV series it has been mostly done. This was pre covid but theoretically you could go to Istanbul and pick up the 2nd half of leg 2, then follow one of the teams, but it will require other transport as well as trains. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_Across_the_World_(series_1)

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
912 comments

replied 5 months ago

PS: available on BBC iPlayer in the UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000380m/race-across-the-world-series-1-episode-2?seriesId=m0002tvr and later episodes

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 4 months ago

Greetings from BKK here-sun has gone up and its now only 24/25 C, but will heat up later.
Have been many, many times to TH/BKK -or ASEAN, but always on plane.
In theory your plan is still possible, IF having plenty of time, IF able to live with not everything pre arranged and with a kind of ´backpack´ mentality. It will by far not be a luxury trip.
As always seat61.com is best overview, though many sections in it get a bit outdated.
You first have to reach Turkey-not a big prob. And FROm Kazakstan (visafree)-via China and the new hi-speed network there, incl new line Kunming to Laos (visa needed-pay US$ at border)-then into TH (with just a short gap in iron rails across capital Vientiane). CN has just announced even visa-free entry for tourist, max 15 days, for several EUR nations-check if UK is among that.
Between TR and KZ you have 2 options, both requiring substantial sectors by bus-often also a big no-no for these railfans.
Either via Iran-then Uzbek-have been in Iran myself some 5-6 yrs ago, dk current situation re visa. Once IN it is quite a pleasant and nice country and all people eager to meet and help. The 1/week train Ankara-Iran (via ferry Van lake) is suspended but announced to get going again early ´24. BUSes a plenty and just buy ticket on the spot.
The ALT is via Georgia-Azeri (visa needed)-then, check IF running!! Ferry to Uzbek/Kazak etc. Again bus needed for long sectors. Have done that myself also quite some yrs ago, not into AZ but to Armenija and that went smooth.
IF really serious and done much more homework: a far better site as this abandoned forum that still gets prime place on dr google is the german drehscheibe-online. It wil also accept postings in /en/, expect serious answers in /de/.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 4 months ago

Sorry-my own geogr. knowledge has also led me to wrong plan.
In fact the about closed-off for foreign devils TURKmenistan lies between Iran and Uzbek and this country will not in general allow tipical tourists from the devilish heathen west inside. So that route means no go for now. Which only lets this route via GE-AZ open.

Userpic

richardabroad
Traveller
2 comments

replied 4 months ago

What is GE-AZ?

Userpic

richardabroad
Traveller
2 comments

replied 4 months ago

Thank you nltrainer.