Userpic

yosial
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 5 months ago

Hi,
I am a senior from the US. I am currently in Trondheim, Norway.

Any recommendation how to get by train to Athens, Greece.

Thanks,

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
590 comments

replied 5 months ago

(Almost) impossible. Greece has no international trains since covid and a serious accident. You can reach Sofia via an extremely complicated timetable (www.bahn.com) and from there buses or go to SouthEast Italy and take a ferry followed by buses to Athens.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
914 comments

replied 5 months ago

At the moment it isn't even easy to reach Oslo! Until the Randklev bridge at Ringebu is repaired and reopened (don't ask me when!) it may be easier to reach Denmark or Germany via the border at Storlien and then travelling right through Sweden.

The type fo ticket will depend on whta sort of joruney you want - a race or a month long tour?

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1340 comments

replied 5 months ago

For just the ride-it wont be fast anyway- not recmoonded.
Try to make up mind what you DO also want to visit in between-with a pass like EUrail you will get plenty of freedom to do that. Then search-like we tend to answer in about any response; seat61.com is THE site with best info-it suggests routes to/fro that funny island in the NorthSea=UK, so just use the sectors apply for you.
PS-you can probably find flites from about 50/60€/single+ extra for big luggage. Try Norwegian or skyscanner.

Userpic

yosial
Traveller
1 comments

replied 5 months ago

Thanks. I didn't find a train from Trondheim on seat61.com. I prefer to travel by train because of environmental reason. I am looking for the fastest and simplest route to travel by train from Trondheim, Norway to Athen, Greece. EUrail, 4 days within one month, might be my best bet.

Userpic

argon
Traveller
351 comments

replied 5 months ago

Its just not possible , not fast , not simpel , its just not possible (only by train) ! The route i would recommend is to go to from Trondheim to Trelleborg and from there to Rostock with by ferry (Stena Line / stenaline.com) and from there with IC/ICE to Munich via Berlin (DB / bahn.com) . From there i would take a Nighttrain (Nightjet / nightjet.com) to Venice and from there with ferry to Patras with ANEK (anek.gr/en) . There you need to stay overnight and take the train to Athens via Kiato (Trainose hellenictrain.gr/en) . That would be my route ! For this route would i not recommend a Eurailpass because on some ferrys you get a little discount , but the majority dont grand any kind of discount , so i would recommend to book tickets seperately . I hope i could helped u a bit !