Userpic

vtbndkt
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 6 months ago

Hi dear community

I have a question about the Interrail One Country Pass that I discovered by chance. I plan to make a trip from Germany through the Netherlands on Wednesday. This trip should be 4 days long (from Wednesday to Saturday). I would be traveling by trains/public transportation every day.

I wanted to use the Interrail One Country Pass for the trips in the Netherlands. Deutsche Bahn (the national railway company of Germany) gives me the following information when i go through the purchase process:
- Travel one country intensively within 3 to 8 days within one month.
- 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8 freely selectable travel days within one month

Although the wording itself is quite clear, I am still confused. Why does the first wording say "within 3 to 8 days"? Do I have to travel a minimum of 3 days and a maximum of 8 days or what does it mean?
And does the 2nd point say that I can choose between 3-8 days on which I want to travel within a month? Why is 7 travel days not mentioned as an option here?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 6 months ago

first of all, are you sure the trips in Netherlands will cost enough to make this a viable option?

The wording says "within 3 to 8 days" because it was translated by someone who isn't first language English. You have to learn that many things on the internet are written by people who are not fluent in the langauges they appear in. It should say "on" or "for", not "within".

The price per day reduces as you buy more days, presumably the daily price difference between 6 and 8 means that day 8 is basically a bonus (buy 7 - get 1 free). Have you looked at the pricing structure? There is no minimum number of days you have to travel - you can buy a pass and not use it all, you can walk round stations giving money to total strangers if you want to, it's your money. But they won't sell you a one or two day pass. And they wonlt sell a flexi pass for more than 8 days.

By the way, you mention travelling by "trains/public transportation every day" - the pass is only valid on trains, not other transport. No metro, trams or bus travel - even if the buses are operated by the same company as the local trains.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 6 months ago

PS - and there is a supplement of €2.90 for every ride on the high speed line between Rotterdam and Schiphol. This has to be bought seperately as needed. Applies to any domestic journey using this section, including those with start or begin beyond the section.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 6 months ago

PPS that should have said start or end beyond the section