Userpic

Baldie
Traveller
16 comments

Posted 6 months ago

Is there a different route between Oslo and Trondheim? I know there is a bus replacement, between Lillehammer and Trondheim, because of the Randklev bridge but seems that is a long journey time, Does the route taken by the bus roughly follow the railway line?
Also is there a bus replacement around the Hudiksvall embankment collapse, or has it been repaired? Is there another way by rail? between Umea and Stockholm?
Here in the UK I have not been able to find out (even with a Goggle search) when either line is likely to reopen. what is the latest news and can a temporary bridge be feasible as I have read the old railway (now road) bridge is still standing.

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
923 comments

replied 6 months ago

The landslide section of the Dovre line is announced for 30th October, no date for the bridge.

The rail alternatives are very limited services on the Roros Line, which loops around the damaged area and rejoins the mainline at Hamar, or the line into Sweden, the Meråker Line via the border at Storlien to Östersund - but this is only useful if you are heading to southern Sweden and further south, it will take much, much longer to reach Oslo than the Norwegian routes.

Schedules are at www.sj.no/en/train-schedules/ with Swedish connections from Östersund Central at www.sj.se/en

Userpic

Baldie
Traveller
16 comments

replied 6 months ago

Was there a landslide on the Oslo to Trondheim line as well as the bridge being washed away? That is something I didn't know about. Did the storm cause any other railway damage between Bergen and Oslo, Trondheim to Bodo or Narvik to Umea (via Boden)?

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
923 comments

replied 6 months ago

There are two areas of damage north of Lillehammer, the bridge and the landslide, these are being covered by one long replacement bus ride. The landslide section is supposed to be reopened on 30th October which will make the bus section a lot shorter but no date for when the bridge will be fixed. No idea about the other lines....

Userpic

Baldie
Traveller
16 comments

replied 6 months ago

Thanks, Mr. Steve, will check the timetables thoroughly on SJ before I book.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1345 comments

replied 6 months ago

There USED to be 2 more or less parrallel ´main´ lines (both singl and via mountains) Os-Trh. The main one with through trains (if can do) is electric, the other more eastern diesel, but they share the first/last sections. This eastern line was only served by local trains the last yrs. A major handicap is also that there are in fact barely any roads along them for a long way, so even organising repl. bus can be a challenge or that bus must make big detours.
SJ is sweden railways and will (just think) NOT have best/latest info on toger pa Norge (trains in NO). Always, always start with (dr google will help) the country/national train planner of the country yourtrip starts in. ALL Scandinavian countries have excellent such things, in the end they will also take over info from their neighbors, but that will take some time. Norske StatsBaner are now named VY- but on some lines they have also outsourced the service to other companies.