Userpic

Koizitykki
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 6 months ago

Hello! I'm travelling from Stockholm to Amsterdam next spring with my girlfriend. We are both students. I'm asking what is the best option (best website to buy etc.) for this type of train trip? Really want to avoid flying at all costs. Thank you so much in advance!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
592 comments

replied 6 months ago

Just a little bit too long in 1 day. I saw 1 possibility starting around 6:30 and arriving around 1:30 (AM). If no delays (chance of delay at that trip is above 50% in my experience, did it a couple of times). Divide the trip in 2. Stockholm-Hamburg and Hamburg-Amsterdam. Go for timetables and tickets to www.bahn.com (or .de if you speak German)

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 6 months ago

Both SJ and Snälltåget run overnight trains from Stockholm to Amsterdam (but not every night). It might not be possible to get a direct fare from Stockholm to Amsterdam, and almost certainly no chance fo a direct cheap fare. Check the fares split at Hamburg and allow a few hours for the connection (actually, allow for breakfast but the time is useful if there is a delay during the night!). DB will offer early booking (several months but not before early December due to timetable change) discount from Hamburg to Amsterdam but not direct trains, the fares will be for a journey with a change of trains.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
592 comments

replied 6 months ago

Other option is using (night)ferries between Malmö or Trelleborg to Rostock or Travemünde. www.directferries.com.