Userpic

joybleu
Traveller
4 comments

Posted 6 months ago

Hi, I am checking out the pricing for the following tickets on rail jet:
14th Dec, Munich to Venice 2 adults, 3 children (15, 12, 8).
For the exact same timing and train, DB charges 89 euros for all of us, while OBB charges 300 Euros. Both comes without reservation. Are the DB charges legitimate? Do I need to be worried about not getting a seat on the train if I buy the tickets via DB?
I've used both : www.oebb.at and https://int.bahn.de/en/

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 6 months ago

There are no Railjet trains on that route, they are Eurocity.

I've just checked cheapest fares 14th Dece on direct train. EC85 and DB are quoting 137€ compared to OBB at 176€ and the fully flexible prices are 378€ or 442€.

For one adult alone DB are also cheaper for cheapest option but dearer for fully flexible. No idea why, they are joint operators of the trains.

They usually let you add reserved seats (at a price) before you pay. But the cheaper fares WILL go up day by day.

Userpic

joybleu
Traveller
4 comments

replied 6 months ago

so sorry, I meant Munich to Vienna. Apologies. But I guess the same logic applies that tickets prices will be different on both websites.

Another question, I will be heading into Budapest after stopping over in Vienna for 3 nights. Do I buy separate train tickets for Munich-Vienna and then Vienna-Budapest? Or is there a cheaper option to combine the tickets?

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 6 months ago

Forget what I said about price variations, there is an clear fault on the OBB website for this enquiry!!! their price of more than 300€ breaks down into a bizarre combination. If you ask OBB for one adult the flexible fare is slightly less than DB but the OBB fully flexible fare is almost the same as that when DB is about 30% of it - and the semi flexible fare which should be in the middle is nearly double the flexible price with OBB!!! Very wrong - avoid!

There is a way of stretching a break on the DB website to allow a few hours for sight seeing on a discounted ticket but it won't work for a break of that length. You need to buy each leg seperately - in this case the DB website is offering exactly the same fares as OBB for one adult and OBB look correct this time.

Userpic

joybleu
Traveller
4 comments

replied 6 months ago

Thank you, so I'll just go ahead with the DB booking then. And noted with buying each leg separately.