Userpic

joybleu
Traveller
4 comments

Posted 6 months ago

Hi, Can anyone advise which website I can book direct Munich to Budapest train? I will like to book the ICE trains if possible, for the experience, but any direct train will be great.

I will be travelling with children, so am looking at sleeper trains as an option as well. Anyone with any advise for travelling on long journey trains with kids and luggages will be appreciated.

Date of travel: 14th Dec Direct
Date of return: 18th Dec via Vienna and salzburg back to Munich. Will be doing multiple stopovers

Follow this topic
Userpic

pianokris
Traveller
1 comments

replied 6 months ago

You need to wait for the winter timetable to emerge in mid-October. Shouldn't be long...

Userpic

joybleu
Traveller
4 comments

replied 6 months ago

Thank you. I thought I missed out on the tickets. May I also know if it's much cheaper to get the eurail pass for Munich-budapest-vienna-salzburg-munich?

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 6 months ago

There are no ICE between Munich and Vienna/Budapest, all the direct fast trains are Austrian RailJets - which are similar inside. The sleeper is only viable for a direct ride between Munich and Budapest and might be on sale already at nightjet.com This is part of ÖBB (Austrian railways) and the sales site can also be used for the Railjets .

There isn't a lot of time to break the Budupest-Munich return if you want to do it in one day. The fast direct train takes nearly 7 hours and in mid December you won't get much more time than that in daylight. You certainly won't have time to see both Vienna and Salzburg.

It's hard to tell whether Eurail is cheaper, if the kids haven't reached 12th birthday they go free on a pass - but you still have to pay the bed fees on Nightjet and they can be nearly as much as an early booking fare+bed inclusive ticket. If you break the return journey at Salzburg you can do the final 2 hours in a German regional train using once of the heavily discounted BayernTickets for a group. If the kids are over 12 the margin is even smaller.

Userpic

joybleu
Traveller
4 comments

replied 6 months ago

Thank you. I have decided to take stopover at Vienna, then proceed on to Budapest