Traveller
2 comments

Posted 7 months ago

Hello,
I have taken out a 4-day electronic global pass. I live in Nantes in France
I wanted to use :
Day 1: Nantes - Lille, as an approach route
Brussels - Lille without using the pass

Day 2: Brussels - London (I've made the reservation)
My train makes a stop in Lille (so in France, but I stay on it)

Day 3: London - Edinburgh with pass

Day 4: Edinburgh - London (with pass)
London - Paris (with pass, and interrail reservation)
Paris - Nantes (return journey)

Someone told me that the fact that my Eurostar (Brussels - London) goes through France will activate my free return, and that I won't be able to go back to France afterwards.

Could you tell me if my route is compliant and if not, what can I do?
Thanks in advance!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 7 months ago

Why to Brussels. You should enter the Eurostar in Lille.

Userpic

Arend7
Traveller
589 comments

replied 7 months ago

Or buy a ticket Brussels-Lille sepataretly

Userpic

VictorW67
Traveller
2 comments

replied 7 months ago

I'm sorry, I wrote it down wrong in my first post.

In fact, I have to go to Brussels at the beginning, hence the fact that I wanted to start from Belgium.

As I would only be entitled to 2 journeys in France, it will count the Brussels - London as a journey in France as it passes through Lille.

If I get on the Eurostar in Lille, that also counts as a trip in France, doesn't it?

Thanks a lot!

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
913 comments

replied 7 months ago

An interesting question, which is more about whether the rules are correctly applied by the App. Eurostar is not part of the inclusive travel of Interrail, they just give discounted travel if you have a pass and don't even guarantee that these discounted seats will be offered on every train. So technically you do not travel on the French part of the Interrail network. If you had a paper pass you wouldn't write this journey in it. And you even pass through UK Immigration control at Brussels and afte rthat are sealed from Belgium and France. But how has the App been written? Like many things in life what a computer system developer codes into an App may not be the same as reality! We need someone with real experience of using Eurostar with the App not gossip and rumour but for now I agree with what you planned. My question is why pay for Brussels -Lille on day 1 (or are you going by car)?

Userpic

VictorW67
Traveller
2 comments

replied 7 months ago

I think I got my answer on a Facebook group.
If the train stops in the traveler's home country, even if the traveler doesn't get off, the app will count it as an in/outbound trip. The solution would have been to take the Brussels - London which doesn't stop in Lille, but it's already full.
In short, I'm going to give up my Nantes - Lille journey, in order to benefit from the Eurostar discount thanks to my pass.

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
913 comments

replied 7 months ago

But the Eurostar doesn't stop at a station on the French part of the Interrail network......

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
913 comments

replied 7 months ago

Correction, Eurostar has now been added to the list of French companies (and also British companies) even though they won't allow all of their trains to be used and use the term "Pass holder fare".