Userpic

Snarf07
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 7 months ago

Two South African passports were accidently left behind on a train from Amsterdam to Hamborg, late Saturday afternoon, 16-09-2023. Owners left the train at Amersfoort. Where to start searching?

Follow this topic
Userpic

argon
Traveller
352 comments

replied 7 months ago

Wheres the train going to ?

Userpic

argon
Traveller
352 comments

replied 7 months ago

(Went)

Userpic

argon
Traveller
352 comments

replied 7 months ago

But you must get the passport to an offical goverment office . Im not sure which office , but if you do not , you can get a fine of up to 5000€ .

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 7 months ago

They were lost 3 days ago and now you start searching???

First, as far as I can tell there are no trains from Amsterdam to Hamburg. There is a train every 2 hours to Berlin, evenings only as far as Hannover.

There is every chance that they have made it into the blackmarket, especially if they have Schengen visas. Hopefully by now you have reported the loss to the South African consulate in Den Haag. If they were found on the train before the border and give to the Dutch conductor NS should have them (and by now should have told someone!!). use this https://www.ns.nl/en/customer-service/lost-or-stolen/lost-and-found-items.html

If they crossed the border and were found and given to the conductor then DB should have them , sadly since a recetn "upgrade" of their website the foreign language pages have lost most of the useful info so you are stuck with this https://www.bahn.de/service/ueber-uns/fundservice

If you are sure that the train was going to Germany then you should also inform the South African consulate in Berlin.

Userpic

Snarf07
Traveller
1 comments

replied 7 months ago

Thanks for the useful info. I posted here on behalf of my brother and his girlfriend. They have already created a case on www.ns.nl on Sunday, but no responses yet. I'm afraid you might be right about the black market. It is also reported to the NL police and the SA Embassy in Den Haag. They were supposed to visit me in denmark, but are now stuck in den Haag, and apparently the emergency passports can only be used to return to SA :-( I will try bahn.de thanks.