Userpic

FrameTravels
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 8 months ago

Hey RailDudes,

I would like to know if it's worth it to buy an Interrail Ticket in Eastern Europe or if you're better off with buying tickets for trains.
So the country I'll visit are Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Serbia, Bosnia and Slovenia.

Best regards,
Sven

Follow this topic
Userpic

bumbum
Traveller
4 comments

replied 8 months ago

Hi Sven,

go with regular tickets - there are virtually no international services in these countries except between Croatia and Slovenia and Montenegro and Serbia. You´ll have to take other forms of transportation frequently if you are travelling in this area. Interrail makes no sense, if only for your trip to/from your home country.
But definitely travel by train when possible, for instance Belgrade - Bar, Zagreb - Split or Sarajevo - Mostar are very scenic lines!

Flo

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
916 comments

replied 8 months ago

Albania isn't part of Interrail even if they can manage to get a train to run. The Balkans and Turkey regional Interrail that appears in some travel sites doesn't seem to be available this year. But if travelling a long distance from the north to Zagreb or Belgrade a 4 days in 15/month flexi pass may be a good idea for that part of the tour.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1343 comments

replied 8 months ago

IF you only travel in these-and not to/fro own country, then its better to use buses-and an odd train where they run and if they even also do it on the times that suit you. Also check seat61.com. Dont worry or even get sleepless nites about not able to book online-just do it as your dad/granpa did: go to counter, buy ticket.

Userpic

FrameTravels
Traveller
2 comments

replied 8 months ago

Thank y'all for the responses. Did book the night train to Zagreb now. The rest of the trip is planned as nltrainer mentioned, just booking at the counter and going mostly by busses

Userpic

FrameTravels
Traveller
2 comments

replied 8 months ago

As MisterSteve said, the FLexiPass could be worth to look into, but the difference in price is not as big and I decided to book at the counters to be more flexible and to support the local bus and train organisations