Userpic

Ninnet
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 9 months ago

Hi there,
I'm wishing to travel from Athens to Brussels on 8 September 2023. I'd like to travel by rail preferably in a sleeper cabin. From the research I have gathered there is no fast train from Athens to Brussels. Does anyone have suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Follow this topic
Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
911 comments

replied 8 months ago

Your research is minimal. There are not (have not been for over 3 years) any passenger trains of any type from Greece to any other country - something stated every few days on Raildude. When international sleeper cars ran from Athens it would have taken 3 nights and a least one change of train. Nowadays there are few sleeping cars. Best option I can think of is overnight ferry to Bari, train around 09:25 of second day to Bologna, then another train to Munich, then another to Nuremburg where at 01:00 of day 3 you board a sleeping car to Brussels arriving at 09:55 on day 3. But this is not a daily option so you would have to be flexible with dates and it would require seperate bookings for various parts of the journey.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1336 comments

replied 8 months ago

THis site has all info: seat61.com
It lists overlanbd travel to/.fro UK and this will thus often go via BE.
Best way for this is likely by ferry to Italy and then -hopefully- some treno di notte. Expect them to be full in your wished for accomm. this summer by those being faster.
So now you can still maintain flying is far better, quicker and cheaper as they make it far too difficult to save this planet or so.